Final results/decisions?

magog

I'll end up at UChicago's MAPH. While gradcafe's impressions of this program are largely negative, the impressions I get from academics at various stages in their lives and from various schools is largely positive. My Campus Days visit seemed to dispel a lot of gradcafe's concerns, at least as much as a two-day visit can do. It bothers me a little bit that this is technically a humanities degree with a concentration in philosophy. However, I can take 9 philosophy courses and write a ~30 page thesis under the supervision of highly renowned faculty, especially in my AOI. I consider that a Master's in philosophy. Plus, they have rather reassuring placement information for previous graduates getting into PhD's programs.

I'm happy with this outcome, but I think there are things I would do differently if I had to do it again. First, I should have taken undergrad more seriously and constructed a good writing sample, probably should have done some type of thesis, while I was there. If I had to construct a writing sample after undergrad again, I would read more secondary sources. And I would have applied to more Master's programs. There's still a chance that having done all of these I would reach the same outcome. I'll be much better prepared for the next round.

Oh, is anyone else still waiting to hear back from Columbia's MA program? I solicitied a response about three days ago, and they were still not decided. I'm not holding my breath though. Already accepted UChicago's MAPH offer.

After the dust settled on deadline day, a funding offer from Mizzou fell into my lap (5 year TA). After not getting in anywhere last year, I'm relieved to have a new home.

The backup plan was UChicago's MAPH, but after Campus Days I thought that it just wasn't for me (and I wasn't sure who I would recommend it to); but I'm glad to hear that someone landed there. Good luck Another Sisyphus! You get to use the swag bag and not have to explain to every random stranger that you did not actually go to UChicago (it gets old very quickly, but I'm a sucker for using swag).

Edited by goodmayham

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...