Berkeley GSPP Strengths/Weaknesses

Hey all,

COngrats to all who got in....commiseration with others (hope U make it to even better place).

I could not help wondering that the admission results for GSPP's MPP listed on the forum are only for the 'A' students, what about the rest? Being an 'I' (International) applicant myself, that makes me a little more nervy. IS GSPP still holding onto its International offers or may be none got in???

As the wait gets more intense, this pessimism is getting under my skin. Anyways, I would be glad if nyone could throw some light on the matter....

Chaooo.

Hi guys...congrats to those who got in and god bless you for those who s been waiting for the decisions...

I just got in GSPP MPP with no fellowships...sad...does anyone know the chances for 2nd-year students to receive any kind of scholarships? I remember someone on this board said no fellowships for 2nd-year students...please correct me if I am wrong...I just checked out the site for relevant information, however, most of fellowships are limited to US. residents (I am an int'l student myself)....

Another question is ...is it easy to find RA/TA? It seems like GSPP does NOT provide TA/RA positions and students have to find them in other departments....

any information will be greatly appreciated!

Wow. I am surprised at the caliber of applicant that GSPP is rejecting.

Don't let these results make you question your abilities, though. I think admissions to many of these MPP programs is a lottery. Schools want to compose heterogeneous classes, and you might have been rejected for reasons that would have normally not kept you out of the competition. For example, if there were several dozen applicants who recently worked on the presidential campaign but only one working on economic development in the Khyber Pass, all things being equal, your chances are better if you are in the latter category.

I also have to say, as someone who has worked in government and non-profits in DC, GSPP is not the end-all-be-all, at least in DC. Before anyone takes offense, I am not saying it's a terrible program. Indeed, the Berkeley brand will take you far anywhere. But, most of you have been accepted into programs that I think are bigger, better-known names in DC.

I've always considered GSPP to be the third most selective of the policy schools behind Harvard and Princeton. Considering the acceptance rate, which is probably somewhere around 30-35% in a regular year, I guess I'm not too surprised to see so many rejections. Of course, some of the people being rejected are a bit surprising.

I'd also like to second Linden's hypothesis that some of these rejections have come out of a desire for a more heterogeneous class. The very definition of education, when viewed according to its latin root of "ex ducure" is "to lead one forth" or "to lead oneself out of." These schools are in the business of educating, and it's almost impossible to educate if the class makeup doesn't allow for debate from a variety of perspectives.

I was talking to a current GSPP student yesterday, and she said that they'd heard applications this year had increased by more than 50% since last year - and that there's some joking talk among current students that a lot of them wouldn't have been able to get in this year.

They do seem to have rejected some great candidates this year - their loss!

Hey all,

COngrats to all who got in....commiseration with others (hope U make it to even better place).

I could not help wondering that the admission results for GSPP's MPP listed on the forum are only for the 'A' students, what about the rest? Being an 'I' (International) applicant myself, that makes me a little more nervy. IS GSPP still holding onto its International offers or may be none got in???

As the wait gets more intense, this pessimism is getting under my skin. Anyways, I would be glad if nyone could throw some light on the matter....

Chaooo.

Hey SHani, am an "I" category applicant. Havent heard from GSPP yet. Any dates for "i"-notifications??? :)

Hi all,

This is my first post. I was just accepted to GSPP. I am sorry to all those great people here who were not admitted and I apologize if any of my comments ever seem ungracious.

I was not offered any fellowships or scholarships. I was wondering if GSPP is affordable for someone like me (worked for non-profits since college, no savings, no help from parents for graduate school).

I am also very concerned that my not receiving funding is an indication of my strength as an applicant. Does this mean I am far less likely to get into other programs?

Right now, I am viewing an acceptance with no funding as the same as a rejection. Am I being too short-sighted? Is it worth investing in a program like this, and would they even loan that much money to someone like me?

Thanks, and I'm sorry if these topics have been covered earlier.

Hi all,

This is my first post. I was just accepted to GSPP. I am sorry to all those great people here who were not admitted and I apologize if any of my comments ever seem ungracious.

I was not offered any fellowships or scholarships. I was wondering if GSPP is affordable for someone like me (worked for non-profits since college, no savings, no help from parents for graduate school).

I am also very concerned that my not receiving funding is an indication of my strength as an applicant. Does this mean I am far less likely to get into other programs?

Right now, I am viewing an acceptance with no funding as the same as a rejection. Am I being too short-sighted? Is it worth investing in a program like this, and would they even loan that much money to someone like me?

Thanks, and I'm sorry if these topics have been covered earlier.

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance!

I didn't apply to GSPP, but I'm going to try and answer your questions.

I don't think the fact you didn't receive funding at GSPP has any bearing on how likely to get into other programs. Different programs looks for different things, and while you might fit well at GSPP you may not fit at well at some other programs. Or the other programs can afford to be more selective.

Uhm, getting the acceptance without funding is obviously not a rejection. I think they are saying, "we want you, but we can't afford to fund you." I mean, the California economy is in the toilets. GSPP is funded by the state. So if California doesn't have money, GSPP doesn't have money (A bit simplistic, but close to the truth).

As far as whether or not it's worth it to take out the loans, I think that's a personal decision.

Be happy! Stop worrying about the worst that could happen, and remember you've gotten into a highly competitve, top rate institution. Congrats.

Hi MCneelified - I'm in a similar place - accepted but no funding and wondering if the program is worth the debt - I got a full tuition scholarship at Duke so GSPP would be considerable more expensive. Just a few thoughts in response to your post. First, I don't think it's fair to view the lack of fellowship as a rejection, because GSPP was really stingy with funding this year (the CA state budget is in big trouble and higher ed got hit badly) and apps were way up. Plus, as mentioned above, all the programs look for different things in applicants, so no funding doesn't mean you're not going to get in at other top-notch schools.

Second, apparently there are opportunities to be a graduate student instructor (GSI) - mostly in the second year - which I believe comes with a tuition remission and some stipend. So that may be an option to keep costs down.

Anyway, congratulations on the acceptance - don't be so down on the lack of fellowship that you don't take the time to be proud of even getting in!

Thank you to the people who responded!

First of all, you are absolutely right -- I should not equate lack of fellowship with a rejection. I was just freaked out by the prospect of getting into a great school but not actually being able to go because I'm not rich, which would really suck. And I also had this weird panic where I just assumed that this means I wouldn't get into other schools b/c I must not have been an "exceptional" applicant (otherwise, I would have gotten funding).

But I should definitely be happy about this, regardless. Thank you for making me a take a step back and realize what an accomplishment this is!

I think I may go pour a drink...

MCNeelified, et al. I was also accepted to GSPP with no funding, and pretty grateful to have gotten in. Still, the lack of money stuff is a big problem, I haven't exactly been living it up in the private sector the last few years. At this point, I'm weighing Cal against Harvard and WWS (both HIGHLY unlikely), which are the only schools for me that would trump Berkeley.

My logic of the moment goes something like this:

1. If by some miracle I get into Harvard, it will be without funding. Since I have no funding both places, and about the same level of "brand value" (though i will admit harvard probably has a slight edge), Cal is clearly cheaper and a winner. And i would much rather live through winter in the bay area than in new england.

2. If by some incredibly crazy alignment of the planets I get into WWS, and the full-funding thing isn't a fairy tale, I'd go there. It's an amazing education, good name recognition, without a lifetime of debt, what else do you need? I'd have to live in new brunswick or something, but that's life.

The x-factor for me is that my husband will be entering law school at the same time....he's getting into a lot of places, but hasn't heard good news about funding yet. yikes.

For those of you who got in but did not receive funding, please don't despair. You may have to borrow some to attend Berkeley, but it shouldn't even approach the costs of attending some other big names without funding.

A coworker of mine is a recent GSPP grad, and she borrowed very little in her two years there. For starters, she found on-campus employment both years (they don't recommend that first year students work, but I think it's more than possible if you're willing). That employment substantially reduced her enrollment fees and paid her a salary that almost completely covered living expenses (with a roomate, I believe). She was also able to leverage work study funds in her summer internship, allowing her to earn a solid amount of money over the summer. And, establishing state residency meant no more nonresident tuition in her second year.

She had been offered a generous scholarship at a private school and no funding at GSPP, but when she ran the numbers, GSPP was still the clear winner.

Given the troubles with CA's state budget and economy in general, it's hard to say whether you'd be able to keep your borrowing as low as she did. But I'd still say your financial prospects are much better at GSPP without funding than almost anywhere else.

That's great to hear - thanks for sharing! I was also accepted to GSPP without funding so I'd love to hear more about how your colleague made this work. Do you know what type of job she had and how many hours per week she worked? I'm curious about the types of jobs that qualify students for a tuition discount and the hours required to get the discount and to make enough money to support yourself.

Thanks again!

This document should answer many of your questions about fee remission and types of jobs available: http://gspp.berkeley.edu/admissions/docs/FAQ.pdf

I think my colleague worked about 18 hours a week, but she had different jobs from one semester to the next, so it might have varied. She did say to make sure you ask about fee remission when applying for a position, because some of them don't qualify for remission, and you might not know it unless you ask. Also, keep in mind that in order to find a job, you may have to apply for positions outside your department. Feel free to send me a private message if you want more detail about what my colleague did.

MCNeelified, et al. I was also accepted to GSPP with no funding, and pretty grateful to have gotten in. Still, the lack of money stuff is a big problem, I haven't exactly been living it up in the private sector the last few years. At this point, I'm weighing Cal against Harvard and WWS (both HIGHLY unlikely), which are the only schools for me that would trump Berkeley.

My logic of the moment goes something like this:

1. If by some miracle I get into Harvard, it will be without funding. Since I have no funding both places, and about the same level of "brand value" (though i will admit harvard probably has a slight edge), Cal is clearly cheaper and a winner. And i would much rather live through winter in the bay area than in new england.

2. If by some incredibly crazy alignment of the planets I get into WWS, and the full-funding thing isn't a fairy tale, I'd go there. It's an amazing education, good name recognition, without a lifetime of debt, what else do you need? I'd have to live in new brunswick or something, but that's life.

The x-factor for me is that my husband will be entering law school at the same time....he's getting into a lot of places, but hasn't heard good news about funding yet. yikes.

Dear sisepuede, I applied to KSG and Harris too, just like you :) Mind if you share your stats here? I'm wondering if I have any chance at all at these programs. I'd resisted joining this forum for the longest time but now that D-Day is only a few days away I have to break my silence. The waiting is killing me!!

oi, wish i could be more helpful fighter_2008, but i'm happy to post more details when this is all over for posterity. i'm sure the admissions folks are way too busy to troll these boards trying to match people, but alas...

hope this gives you an idea, care to share yours despite my cowardice?

GPA: its a long story, double major

GRE: Q750, V790, AW 6

WE: 5+ years in policy/public sector leadership roles with national org

oi, wish i could be more helpful fighter_2008, but i'm happy to post more details when this is all over for posterity. i'm sure the admissions folks are way too busy to troll these boards trying to match people, but alas...

hope this gives you an idea, care to share yours despite my cowardice?

GPA: its a long story, double major

GRE: Q750, V790, AW 6

WE: 5+ years in policy/public sector leadership roles with national org

You are definitely in front of me in the pecking order. Mine's as follows:

GPA: 3.7 from the nation's top Ivy in my field of study

GMAT: 700, AW 5.5

WE: 6 years in policy/public sector, including 2 years military

I think I will be congratulating you come Friday!

Hey all,

Chaooo.

Hey Shani, I am an 'I' too, wondering whether you have heard from Berkeley's? As I still havent it and getting really nervy here...