SLP: is there such thing as applying too early?

Basic_Space

I assume you mean 2013 as the fall 2012 classes have already been filled. For the most part schools have generic forms that are used every year. You should be able to access them on the schools website. A lot of schools don't even have a form and just want a signed, sealed letter from the recommender. Some schools have entirely online applications and those may not open until the summer. If that is the case I would tell your recommenders that they are not available yet but that you will get the forms to them as soon as possible. If they do not become available by late July it would be appropriate to send an email to the department asking when the application process with be open for submissions.

What you can do now is give your recommenders a list of the schools you want to attend and when the applications are due. That way they can begin to plan. If you are asking people who have written letters in previous years they should know what to expect. It is never to early to start planning but you have to understand that schools may not be ready to receive applications until a specific date. You should also give your recommenders copies of your transcripts, letter of intent (even if it is an edited (ie no gammer or spelling errors) first draft), and your resume. That should be enough to give them a head start. Good luck! The application process will feel endless but I promise there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for the reply, NorcalSLP.

Yes, I meant 2013--sorry about that. It just so happens that most of the schools have online applications ready for Fall 2013. The other ones only open applications for Fall 2013 in October (which is crazy late) but they want their forms mailed with the application package so I can just keep the recoomendation letters for later.