Programs That Merge Philosophy and Theology/Religion

cdbaca

First off, thanks to everyone who's posted; this has been super informative for me. I'm currently pursuing my MA in Theology at General Theological Seminary in NYC, and am in the process of applying to PhD programs this Fall, hoping to start in the Fall of '14 (I should graduate from GTS in the Spring of '14).

Though my current work is of course in theology, I am really interested in the intersection of theology and philosophy, especially metaphysics, ontology, and the philosophy of science. Thus far, I've been trying to focus on schools that have solid theology and philosophy programs. Right now, Marquette, Duquesne, and Villanova are at the top of my list. Villanova doesn't offer a PhD in Theology--but they do offer one phil. slot with an emphasis on theology.

And this gets me to my main confusion: should I pursue a degree in philosophy with an emphasis in theology, or a PhD in philosophical theology? Most of the specific issues I'm interested in are more directly philosophical in nature, but my overall project, as it were, is decidedly theological. I'm interested in exploring how a renewed metaphysics and ontology can help Christian theology to speak meaningfully and believably about God, resurrection, and salvation--neither slipping into liberal overskepticism nor fideistic fundamentalism.

Any advice or guidance on who might be publishing in this territory and what schools I should be looking at would be most appreciative. I've been scouring a number of journals (esp. Faith and Philosophy, Philosophy and Theology, and Modern Theology) but have only found a few really interesting articles so far--mainly from Doran at Marquette and Godzieba at Villanova. My main influences are Hegel, Buber, Zizioulas, and (with considerable criticism) Milbank (for a while, Nottingham was at the top of my list, but Radical Orthodoxy, though I think valuable and even crucial, seems to be such a polarizing school that I'm not sure I'd want to do my work at Nottingham--though I am open to be convinced that this would be a good tack. It seems to me that it often steps beyond critiquing secularity and science and actually dismissing/attacking them, which I think is a step too far.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

First off, thanks to everyone who's posted; this has been super informative for me. I'm currently pursuing my MA in Theology at General Theological Seminary in NYC, and am in the process of applying to PhD programs this Fall, hoping to start in the Fall of '14 (I should graduate from GTS in the Spring of '14).

Though my current work is of course in theology, I am really interested in the intersection of theology and philosophy, especially metaphysics, ontology, and the philosophy of science. Thus far, I've been trying to focus on schools that have solid theology and philosophy programs. Right now, Marquette, Duquesne, and Villanova are at the top of my list. Villanova doesn't offer a PhD in Theology--but they do offer one phil. slot with an emphasis on theology.

And this gets me to my main confusion: should I pursue a degree in philosophy with an emphasis in theology, or a PhD in philosophical theology? Most of the specific issues I'm interested in are more directly philosophical in nature, but my overall project, as it were, is decidedly theological. I'm interested in exploring how a renewed metaphysics and ontology can help Christian theology to speak meaningfully and believably about God, resurrection, and salvation--neither slipping into liberal overskepticism nor fideistic fundamentalism.

Any advice or guidance on who might be publishing in this territory and what schools I should be looking at would be most appreciative. I've been scouring a number of journals (esp. Faith and Philosophy, Philosophy and Theology, and Modern Theology) but have only found a few really interesting articles so far--mainly from Doran at Marquette and Godzieba at Villanova. My main influences are Hegel, Buber, Zizioulas, and (with considerable criticism) Milbank (for a while, Nottingham was at the top of my list, but Radical Orthodoxy, though I think valuable and even crucial, seems to be such a polarizing school that I'm not sure I'd want to do my work at Nottingham--though I am open to be convinced that this would be a good tack. It seems to me that it often steps beyond critiquing secularity and science and actually dismissing/attacking them, which I think is a step too far.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Though I'm biased, I would add Baylor to the list, especially if Marquette piques your interest. I'm a theology PhD in Baylor Religion, which has professors who are also greatly concerned with the questions you raise (the metaphysical/ontological questions surrounding doctrinal claims etc). Our Faculty have written within a continental vein (Foucault, Kierkegaard, Hegel) as well as about the questions surrounding the RO school. Also, all are well versed in current analytic trends in theology (analytic theology, Wittgenstein, analytic Thomism etc) though none are sold on any one philosophical entryway in theological questions. The courses I have taken often include both theological and philosophical disciplines (cont. and analytic) and often raise the question of metaphysical/ontological conditions for theological practice. 

Aside from that, Baylor's philosophy dept is one of the best analytic dept in the country. Evans in one of the most important Kierkegaard scholars in the country. HIbbs and Miner are superb experts on Aquinas. Others in the Phil Dept do alot of work in analytic philosophy of religion (similar to ND). 

Since your concerns are overtly confessional (you mention resurrection/salvation etc) you should probably apply to a theology dept. with solid philosophical interests. Any good one in the US will fit this criteria plus a stand alone phil. dept to boot...ND, Yale, Duke, Baylor, Marquette, Fordham etc. all have this. But you will also need to determine what kind of dept you hope to work in. If you hope to teach in a phil dept, then you basically have no choice in the matter. You need to apply to Phil depts. 

Lastly, don't pay anything. Go for the funded options. Marquette offered me full funding for three years with the option of five years, but they often admit first years without any initial stipend. So tread lightly there. Duquesne has full five year funding I think. But don't expect a theology dept without a PhD to give you what you need (i.e. Villanova). You will want folks who have experience advising dissertations. 

Though I'm biased, I would add Baylor to the list, especially if Marquette piques your interest. I'm a theology PhD in Baylor Religion, which has professors who are also greatly concerned with the questions you raise (the metaphysical/ontological questions surrounding doctrinal claims etc). Our Faculty have written within a continental vein (Foucault, Kierkegaard, Hegel) as well as about the questions surrounding the RO school. Also, all are well versed in current analytic trends in theology (analytic theology, Wittgenstein, analytic Thomism etc) though none are sold on any one philosophical entryway in theological questions. The courses I have taken often include both theological and philosophical disciplines (cont. and analytic) and often raise the question of metaphysical/ontological conditions for theological practice.

Actually, Baylor has come up in my search--I read Byerly's article on Persons and Properties--so I probably will apply there as well. My understanding is that they came into some money about a decade ago and are therefore in a position to offer solid funding. As you say, I certainly won't go to a program unless my tuition, at least, is fully covered, and ideally I'd choose a program that offers a stipend as well. Thanks for the further info on Baylor!

This is key: Unless you have a degree in philosophy, you're probably not getting into a philosophy PhD program. There are probably some exceptions, especially if you're looking at religiously affiliated schools,  but if you want to make extra sure, head on over to the philosophy forum and ask those folks what they think. Also, even if you did get into a philosophy program, doing a theological project is probably not going to be acceptable unless framed in a non-theological way (again probably barring strongly religiously affiliated schools.)

I too will shamelessly plug my own program: If you're interested in the renewal of metaphysics in theology, you should consider Northwestern's religious studies department. Christine Helmer is broadly interested in that. She's primarily a Luther scholar but has done some extensive work on Schleiermacher as well. She has an article titled "Mysticism and Metaphysics: Schleiermacher and a Historical-Theological Trajectory" which I think is a good example of what we're doing theologically in the department (though the article is 10 years old now.)  Most of the humanities departments at NU have a fantastic working relationship with each other. RS has enjoyed a great relationship with the philosophy and German departments in particular. The philosophy department here is heavy on the German side of things particularly in Idealism, which sounds like it would work for you.

Most Catholic schools have a deep appreciation for philosophical approaches. I have a friend at Duquesne right now, and he's really enjoying it (and it is guaranteed funding for 5 years.)