Best potable PDF reader with highlighting/note capabilities?

Molzy

Hello all!

I am getting my MS right now, and will be starting my dissertation in the fall. I want to get a PDF reader that I could easily take outside, or travel between home and work with, so that I am not sitting in my basement office for hours upon hours staring at my computer screen. Right now, I have all of my PDFs in Mendeley, and I love it for the organization. I would love to get a tablet PC, iPad or reader that I could sync with that, and am wondering if anyone has any opinions/suggestions? I still want to be able to annotate and highlight if possible.

I have a Kindle (older generation) that I LOVE for reading - it is SO easy to read in bright sunlight. However, everything I have read seems to say that Kindles don't have good PDF capabilities, and I think I want something larger, closer to a regular 8 1/2x11 sheet of paper if I am going to be reading so many articles on it!

Any suggestions?

Molly

I don't know if this would be good for everyone (I'm pretty okay with being hands-on with immature tech), but I use a HP Touchpad flashed with Android, and ezpdf is amazing on it. I have the tablet synced to my Dropbox so any changes I make to the pdf are accessible from anywhere.

I agree w/ the Kindle concerns. I have a Kindle Fire (which I love), and it can treat *.doc files like books (making the word breaks to fit the page, bookmarking, etc.) put PDFs are just picture of the paper. Since screen dimensions are narrower than letter sized paper, viewing the whole page ends up really small. I also don't know of a way to highlight. That being said, I'm reading a paper on it right now, and I just flip it to landscape mode so things are bigger. Happy shopping!

I use pdf-notes on iPad, and am pretty happy with it. It lets you annotate with customizable highlights and free-hand drawing, and also let's you type text and export your annotated PDFs.