CS New Grad Profile Evaluation

gaiasabre11

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian residing in Vancouver, BC, and will be graduating next year from UBC with a B.Sc Major in Computer Science. So far I'm leaning towards getting a job right after graduation, but I'd like to know how good are my chances of getting into a top-tier CS grad school now.

To start, unfortunately I have a relatively low gpa (3.0~3.1/4.0, might be able to get it up to 3.2 at the end of my undergrad studies). I haven't taken the GRE, but I'm hoping that I can get good scores if I study well.

Regrading my relevant work experience, I am enrolled in my school's (UBC) coop program, so I'll have a total of 20 months of coop/internship experience in the industry before graduation. I am fortunate enough to work as SDE (intern) at big-named companies like Amazon, Ericsson, and RIM. In addition, I also will have a total of 12 months of part-time research experience with cs profs who are internationally renowned. (Hence I believe it's safe to safe I'll be getting good letters of recommendation.)

I have also been participating in some prestigious international competitions such as ACM-ICPC and Robocup since first year.

I dislike research in general (despite all the research I've done and will be doing) so I'd like to aim for a more professional oriented M.Sc CS.

So in general here are the big questions I have:

Should I follow my current plan of getting a job right after grad, then go back to school later on, or do I have a good chance of getting into a top-tier cs grad school now?

If I do have a good chance of getting into a good cs grad school (in US, UK, or Canada) now, which schools/programs (professional-oriented) should I be looking to apply?

Many Thanks

Should I follow my current plan of getting a job right after grad, then go back to school later on, or do I have a good chance of getting into a top-tier cs grad school now?

If you decide to go to industry before grad school, my reference letter writer from undergrad told me that what may happen is that you get enough money where you could buy a car, then start a family, then buy a house, and then start raising kids, and then you will no longer be interested in grad school.

If I do have a good chance of getting into a good cs grad school (in US, UK, or Canada) now, which schools/programs (professional-oriented) should I be looking to apply?

If you're going the professional-oriented route, finding a program shouldn't be as difficult if you're willing to fund your entire post-graduate studies.

If you decide to go to industry before grad school, my reference letter writer from undergrad told me that what may happen is that you get enough money where you could buy a car, then start a family, then buy a house, and then start raising kids, and then you will no longer be interested in grad school.

Yeah... that's what everybody I know is telling me too. I'd like to go to grad school (now), but only if it's a good one (hence worth the $$$).

If you're going the professional-oriented route, finding a program shouldn't be as difficult if you're willing to fund your entire post-graduate studies.

I agree that finding a program isn't difficult (have looked up quite a few already), but what are my chances of getting into a good school/program? Which ones are (safely) within my range given my less than ideal gpa but strong work experiences and references?

Thanks again for the reply. :)

If you are lucky, you may get a job with a tuition reimbursement benefit that will let you get a degree part-time that you don't have to pay for from your own pocket.

If you are lucky, you may get a job with a tuition reimbursement benefit that will let you get a degree part-time that you don't have to pay for from your own pocket.

Yes, I have tried to look up that option too, but it seems that few companies offer that benefit... (I Know that Google does)

I'm not worrying about the money too much yet (want to leave that till later). Currently I'd just like to know which schools/programs are within my reach.

Thanks for your reply.

For a Master's in the US, I would say that you have a good stab at top 20. Professional Master's - even better. The GPA thing is tricky, but it looks like you have decent stuff to offset it. I would recommend getting in touch with professors personally before applying. Also, try to address your GPA in your SOP and/or request your recommenders to address it in their letters. At the very least, it should save you from getting filtered out right away due to your GPA. It's alright to work for a year or two before returning back to school. For me, I felt that it was much needed. Not to mention, it helps in paying tuition and bills too. Which is very important if you aren't funded.

For a Master's in the US, I would say that you have a good stab at top 20. Professional Master's - even better. The GPA thing is tricky, but it looks like you have decent stuff to offset it. I would recommend getting in touch with professors personally before applying. Also, try to address your GPA in your SOP and/or request your recommenders to address it in their letters. At the very least, it should save you from getting filtered out right away due to your GPA. It's alright to work for a year or two before returning back to school. For me, I felt that it was much needed. Not to mention, it helps in paying tuition and bills too. Which is very important if you aren't funded.

Thank you for your reply. I think I have made up my mind to work for a couple of years before seeking for a master's degree. Having that extra relevant work experience should also most likely boost my chances for admission in a top-tier school/program. Thanks again. :)

• 4 weeks later...

That's how I'm doing mine.

Colleagues at my current place of work have echoed exactly what your reference letter writer told you.

Trying to go back to school after a few years is very challenging, to say the least.

Thank you for your reply. I think I have made up my mind to work for a couple of years before seeking for a master's degree. Having that extra relevant work experience should also most likely boost my chances for admission in a top-tier school/program. Thanks again. :)

Or you could go get the degree while working. Even a few non-degree courses that you can later transfer in can't hurt.

Trying to go back to school after a few years is very challenging, to say the least.

But not impossible -- see threads discussing "non-traditional" students. It's not easy, but it's worth it :-)

Edited by emmm