Seeking Advice - Potential International Development Grad Student

nickel

I'm in the application process, hoping to make it into a masters program to study International Development. I'm hoping for some advice from people who have navigated through the process and might have had similar backgrounds (or just have insights). I feel that I might have a different background than most applicants, and I'm wondering if/how that will affect my chances, and if there are things I can do to potentially mitigate some of the risk or fill in some gaps. A little background:

• I graduated in 2008 from Michigan State University's business school with a BA in Marketing (3.3 GPA)
  • I've been working for the past 3.5 years in marketing/advertising (mostly US automotive), at large agencies in Detroit. I have worked on a few global projects for our clients, but no travel, just pulling and analyzing data and research.
  • I have traveled a lot for leisure, but I'm not sure how much of an effect, if any, this will have on my application
  • I have very little language experience (French) but am taking classes and plan to continue through grad school to ensure I can pass the language proficiency req's

I want to switch from consumer marketing to international development because I am passionate about it. I feel that selling a few more cars will have a limited effect on people's lives compared to building a sustainable economy of supply and demand in an underdeveloped country. I know I probably don't have the same qualifications, education, or experience as most applicants, but I'm wondering if you think my background has any merit to going into a field steeped in economics and business.

I'm also wondering if there are programs I should consider that I'm not. The ones I'm considering right now are:

Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (Geneva) - Masters in Development Practice

Sciences Po - PSIA (Paris) - Masters in Int'l Development

GWU - Elliot School - Int'l Development Studies

U of Denver - Korbel - Int'l Development

Tufts - Fletcher - MALD

Brandeis - Heller - SIS

Any and all advice would be great! I'm trying to navigate this process and just wanted some advice as to where to "turn up the dials". Thanks!

You might want to move this thread down to the Professional Programs--> Government Affairs Forum; that's where all us IR/IDEV folks are hanging out. :)

Some suggestions for you--it's true that your business experience could translate well to certain aspects of international affairs. I would suggest looking at international econ or international trade focuses as well as IDEV since that aspect seems to be your main interest in IDEV. I would also suggest start looking at components of those programs and start pulling together your strategy for SOPs because you will need to highlight any skills which can be applied to IR/IDEV from your professional background. Quantitative/econ skills are looked upon highly right now with the focus on professional skills development in a lot of the highly ranked programs, so that will be in your favor.

You already know this, but your main weak point is your international experience. Unless that travel has been for a longer duration (ie a month or more abroad at a time vs 5 days vacation) I don't think it'll help you much, but it won't hurt. I think that the main thing that programs are looking for with international experience is the ability to live in, work within, and adapt to another culture's norms/etiquette/traditions. Since you probably won't have the chance to take a few months off and go volunteer/work in another country, I'd suggest focusing on your language skills and make sure they're applicable to the regions where you want to work--while French will work for Francophonic African/Caribbean countries, it won't be helpful for you if you're wanting to work in Latin America, for example.

Thanks! I'll consider other focuses as well, but I guess I didn't convey my objectives very well. I'm really interested in helping small businesses and entrepreneurs succeed. But it helps to know that I should highlight some of my Econ. and Quant. background.

While microfinance/entrepreneurship/small business support can definitely be seen as part of an IDEV program, IDEV also often deals with the more traditional forms of foreign aid--capacity building, infrastructure, skills training, etc. The main thing about these programs which the professional skills modules of masters programs deal with is the management/data analysis aspects--something which you already have experience in which is a point in your favor.

The reason I mentioned the International Econ & Trade foci is because often those overlap with IDEV in the areas of microfinance/entrepreneurship/small business support. For example, GWU Elliott's International Trade and Investment Policy (ITIP) program has a focus in development economics, and the capstone course has you choosing whether to work on a project with a private firm, multilateral organization or US agency. At UCSD IR/PS and probably a lot of other schools, the econ concentration has a student consulting group which helps local non-profits or businesses come up with international business strategies.

The main difference from IDEV, from my understanding, is that it is more of a multinational/private sector/finance focus--but that might make the program easier to get into with your background. Finally, IDEV is a very hot focus right now so in some programs like JHU-SAIS etc, you have to apply separately for IDEV because they don't want to take you in the general program pool and have everyone select IDEV for their concentration. You end up competing for a lot fewer slots by applying specifically to IDEV.

A last note in regards to your work experience: I wouldn't discount the value of a business background in IR/IDEV. From my lurking around these forums the last few months, it seems like the majority of IR/IDEV applicants can be sorted into two groups--those with more IR theory backgrounds, and those with quant/econ backgrounds. I am the former, you are the latter, but it seems like they are split pretty evenly so it's not as if it's rare for someone with a business background to get into an IR school. You just need to rock your GREs (quant background people are supposed to do well on the Quant section, and if you can rock the Verbal/Writing portions it's even better), craft an SOP which shows how you want to transition fields and how your professional experience will apply, and choose your LOR writers well.

Good luck!