Fordham vs. Columbia TC for MHC/Counseling Psychology

sconfused

I believe have narrowed my options down to Fordham University and Teachers College, Columbia University. I am interested in Counseling, with the main goal being to practice, and I would potentially love to teach as well.

I wanted to inquire about opinions from someone I program at TC. To my surprise, as I've been doing my due diligence researching both the school and program, I've found some interesting opinions of the school. Things such as calling the Masters programs there diploma factories used to fund PhD students, and wiling to accept anyone who applies. Also things like anyone in the field would know this and your degree would not be as valuable. This concerns me because I am definitely looking to continue into a PhD program after I complete a Masters degree.

Both these two programs appear to be very similar. The program at Fordham is a MS Ed. in Mental Health Counseling, Teachers College is a Ed. M in Psychological Counseling (Mental Health Counseling Specialization) . Both are two years, and comparable cost wise. Both are APA schools. I have been offered a scholarship from Fordham for about $8,000 for this year.

Can anyone comment on the quality of these two programs, or about the negative things I've heard about TC. I have to decide within a few weeks.

I can't attest for your profession, but TC is very well regarded in the education field. Your criticisms of both programs being cash cows, diploma factories is applicable to most masters program and is irregardless of the reputation of the school or the quality of the education you'll receive - I really do think it depends on how you utilize it.

I'm attending TC next year. I have my reservations of the school, mostly regarding the relatively large class sizes, but it does seem to hook you up with ample amounts of publication / presentation opportunities and professional connections. I'm looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

I'm entering second year at TC in the counseling psyh program. TC is definitely a cash cow looking to ship out Master students as fast as possible. However for the counseling program, they just hired a new department chair and she is pretty awesome. She actually listens to us and is very approachable, whcih makes it easier to stand being in this program.

The class sizes for the program aren't too large actually, however they have been increasing the number of students each year pretty substantially.

I will say the faculty and staff really suck as a whole. Everyone seems to have a pretentious attitude because we are at a high ranking school. The best part of the school and the counseling program are your fellow colleagues. It's going to be a serious journey, but as of my first year, I have learned so much about myself and about counseling. Personally I think the academic classes aren't the best (my undergrad was harder), but the experiential classes where you learn actual counseling are completely worth it. This program will completely break you down to and they are very harsh with their feedback, but you do grow from it.

Good luck!

• 5 years later...
On 7/16/2012 at 2:44 PM, Creesha said:

I'm entering second year at TC in the counseling psyh program. TC is definitely a cash cow looking to ship out Master students as fast as possible. However for the counseling program, they just hired a new department chair and she is pretty awesome. She actually listens to us and is very approachable, whcih makes it easier to stand being in this program.

The class sizes for the program aren't too large actually, however they have been increasing the number of students each year pretty substantially.

I will say the faculty and staff really suck as a whole. Everyone seems to have a pretentious attitude because we are at a high ranking school. The best part of the school and the counseling program are your fellow colleagues. It's going to be a serious journey, but as of my first year, I have learned so much about myself and about counseling. Personally I think the academic classes aren't the best (my undergrad was harder), but the experiential classes where you learn actual counseling are completely worth it. This program will completely break you down to and they are very harsh with their feedback, but you do grow from it.

Good luck!

Hi Creesha, 

Thank for the info! I'm a prospective student in the EdM Psychological Counseling program at TC...I was wondering if they offer any graduate assitantships/funding/scholarships while a student is enrolled in the program?

Thanks!

-Ada