Joint degree programs worth it?

alskdjfh

I'm new here to Gradecafé and was hoping some of you grad students could help me.

Although I'm still an undergraduate, I was looking into potential graduate programs and came across joint degree programs (MBA/MA, MA/PHD, MPHIL/MDIV, etc). Do these joint programs hold weight in "the real world"? At first they were appealing since you're obtaining two graduate degrees for less time/money, but is it worth cutting part of one program to add to another?

For what it's worth, I was thinking of applying to a master of public policy and a master of international development program. But what about MBA/JD programs? Surely cutting out parts from either would "water down" the program, right?

What abour MA/PHD joint programs? If they're leading towards a Ph.D, wouldn't picking up a master's degree essentially "look good"? (not saying the only reason why i'd get a MA/MS in a master's/doctorate program would be to "look good" but that's beside the point)

Edited by alskdjfh

Pursuing a joint degree isn't something you should do based on the motivation "two degrees look better than one." If a dual/joint degree suits your needs, it's an option worth investigating.

Knowing that I want to work in health care policy, I looked at degrees from both the schools public policy and public health at the university I'll be attending. I want the quantitative rigor (quantitative program evaluation, econometrics, analysis using various programs) I would get from the policy program, but decided I wanted more immersion in health care courses than a two-year MPP could provide. The program in health management and policy at the school of public health offers courses that appeal to me on this level--but the MPH is very structured, and with that alone I'm unable to take all of the "policy analysis" classes I'd set my sights on. The MPP/MPH is a perfect marriage of curricula for me. Importantly, I was also able to work it out financially.

Can you describe why the MPP/IDEV combination is suited to your goals? I'm not familiar with international development programs, so I don't know how much overlap already exists--but I do know that people get MPPs with intentions of going into international development. Would the two degrees be redundant? If so, there's no reason to pay for a third year.

As far as whether joint-degrees get "watered down," I can only speak to what I'm doing (two degrees in three years instead of four). The MPP/MPH does have some overlap, so I'll be able to waive certain courses: econ, statistics, program evaluation, politics of public/health policy... I'm not certain of the specifics, but it'll probably be 4-6 classes--the equivalent of a full semester or more. Had I gone the MPP-only route, I likely would have taken 3-4 electives within the school of public health anyways. So no, I don't feel that I'm diluting my degrees at all. I suppose someone who's combining less-related degrees (like the JD/MBA you mentioned) might feel differently.

• 2 weeks later...

An MA/PhD is not a joint degree. It is a track program which you are eligible to enter as a bachelors student with the expectation that when you graduate, you will do so with a Ph.D. If you do not already posses a Masters degree, than in your second or third year depending on the school you are either granted an MA automatically or you can apply to have the degree granted. You do not have to do anything extra usually, since everyone in most programs has to submit a Qualifying Paper (the equivalent of an MA thesis) to progress to Ph.D. candidacy. You are encouraged to get the degree granted at most schools since it makes you eligible to seek employment as an adjunct during your dissertation.

I decided (for now at least) not to get a 2nd Masters (in a choose-your-own-joint-program-adventure of an M.A. in Russian area studies and a PhD in Sociology) because I thought the added time and coursework requirements would be overwhelming. Instead I'm focusing on incorporating my regional interest into my work as a PhD student.

When it comes to those joint programs, look at what they actually entail, and compare that to how deep your interests are. At the end of the day, plenty of PhDs, MBAs and joint-degree holders are unemployed. Your success in job searches (which is the part where "looking good" comes in handy) will come from the work you put into networking, publishing, and teaching, and not from how many degrees you hold.

If you are trying to figure out whether specific programs are right for you, go visit them, talk to faculty there, talk to faculty at your UG institution, read what folks are publishing from the department.

Hope that helps, best of luck!