Macro programs, Queer framework?

MSDubbs

Hey everyone,

I will be applying to social work programs for fall '13, so I am just starting to really explore all of the options out there. Reading through the forums has already been really helpful for me, but I haven't found a lot of talk about good, affordable macro programs--and comparing the schools that offer strong macro programs. Any current macro SW folks out there who could provide insight on your process and where it ultimately led you?

If you have attended or are currently attending a school with a macro focus, did/do you find that the program has a strong social justice focus? Ideally, I would find a program that operates under a queer and feminist theory framework, have options for placement in LGBT organizations, etc. and at the very least it's important that I find a program that will be dedicated to addressing such issues.

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

You are going to be hard-pressed to find a program that operates exclusively under such a specific framework, but look at the faculty and see what their interests are and where their focus lies for potential mentors. I would look through course offerings within the School of Social Work as well as electives you can take to supplement.

Location is also going to be a big factor--you're going to want to look in places that are addressing the needs and challenges of the LGBT community, and that will provide plenty of field work options. Ask to speak with current students in your prospective concentration.

I was a macro applicant, and what governed my applications (outside, uh, having a decent macro focus in the first place) were program scope and reputation. I knew I wanted to work with youth, but I wasn't honed-in on a specific population or issue at the time, so I wanted to keep my options open and be in places that would have a nice variety of placements, particularly in working with larger nonprofits and governmental agencies. I spent a lot of time in grassroots nonprofit and direct services, and I wanted to be strategic in getting exposure to different settings and having the opportunity to engage in large-scale policy work and program evaluation.

In choosing my eventual program, when it got to the nitty gritty of it, I was lucky and ended up someplace that had a strong reputation, a small cohort, and the most affordability. I also really love and appreciate the way Berkeley coordinates field placements, which is something you also want to dig around and ask about. I ended up getting the impression from some programs that their first-year placements weren't very deliberate and didn't involve much input from the student, particularly in regards to the specific population. Though I completely understand the reasons why they assign you to work with a different population, I would rather it be purposeful rather than haphazard.

For example--right now, although I am interested in homelessness, one of my prospective first-year placements is implementing and evaluating a new program evaluation method, and training 20 reps from different branches of a large-scale nonprofit to use it. The agency doesn't focus on homelessness, and works with low-income families with children 0-5. Alternatively, one of my prospective second-year placements is doing statewide policy work in addressing the homelessness (amongst other challenges) of former foster youth aging out of the system. Sometimes it is less about the specific population and more about the practical tools you will acquire in your field placement, so definitely think about what type of macro work you are looking to do.

Edited by briefinterviews

• 2 months later...

I was also admitted to UCLA, USC, Washington, Michigan, Boston University, and UPenn. After I was admitted to Cal, though, I soon realized I wasn't as compelled by the other programs and that the Berks was the place for me :)