Marrying s/o back home for J2 while on J1 in US

Hello, I've seen some threads discussing the F1 and J1 nonimmigrant visas. I start a program this Fall and recently switched my certificate of eligibility from F1 to J1.

My longtime partner and I plan to initially go long distance and make a decision during my second year of course work between (1) marrying so that he can get a J2 visa and join me in the US while being able to legally work; or (2) returning home for lengthily periods of time or pretty much full-time once I am ABD (I've checked with my department and a few students are writing from a distance).

I've seen replies from doctoral students here who have applied with their spouses for J1 and J2 simultaneously before moving together. However, has anyone here married their partner "back home" AFTER moving away and beginning their program and applying subsequently for a J2 later on?

I was wondering if anyone's spouse has had difficulty getting their work permit stuff processed too after the fact?

If anyone is wondering why I won't just marry now before leaving, it's because we haven't decided what's best for both of us (personally and financially) so that we can eventually reunite and live full-time in the same place a couple of years from now. I'd also like a bit of distance to adjust to my program initially during my first year (figure out the lay of the land). I imagine if we decide to attempt the J2, I'll start planning a small wedding during 2013-14.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by ltam