Travel Reimbursements

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice re: travel reimbursements. Three schools volunteered to pay for my visits in March/April while I was still deciding, and I haven't heard a peep out of them since. I realize academic departments can be notoriously slow processing such things, plus they've probably pushed it off until summer. Still, I'm wondering if anyone has words of wisdom about when/if/how I should give a gentle nudge.

One of the schools is the one I ended up choosing, so my vague plan at the moment is to wait until I hear from them before I start worrying about other schools. I figure they won't abandon me on this since I'm an actual student now.

Thoughts? Thanks all.

I'd assume that during your visit you met a program secretary/coordinator of some sort (someone who took care of all the paperwork, organized your visit, etc). If you have their e-mail, I'd send them an e-mail asking if there is any word on reimbursement. It could be that your paperwork got lost in the shuffle, or that you are missing something that they need to reimburse you. I'd certainly take a more active role in this though, since even at the snails pace that most academic institutions work when it comes to giving out money, you should have heard something by now.

I received my reimbursement check about a month after my trip. During my visit, they were very good about connecting me with the secretary in charge of distributing reimbursements, and she made sure that she had all the documents she needed to process it quickly.