Undergrad Philosophy Journals

analogue

OK, so I am planning on applying to a number of PhD programs in continental philosophy. In this connection, I would like to get some of my papers published prior to the application season (I know this is not something absolutely necessary to do, but still...).

Does anybody know any active undergraduate philosophy journals that would publish something in 20th century continental philosophy (structuralism, poststructuralism, psychoanalysis). Perhaps, some literary theory journals?

Thanks in advance!

Hey!

The school where I did my BA has an annual journal that would publish it. It's been going for two years now, and they published two of my continental papers (one in each journal). The only two problems are 1) They only do one a year; and 2) It depends on if the school's philosophy society next year will be active enough to put out another one.

The first one they did was the year I was part of the phil. soc. executive, and we went as far as getting the journal an ISBN number, so you can search it on WorldCat and whatnot.

analogue: no offense intended, but publishing papers in undergraduate journals really won't help (or hurt) your chances of getting into a top PhD program or any program (in my opinion). The only paper that matters is your writing sample. Even if the paper which you choose as your writing sample also appears in an undergraduate journal this won't matter. I've spent the past several months preparing for graduate study in philosophy and in so doing have read countless numbers of blogs and blurbs from current graduate students and professors who serve on admissions committee and most seem to agree that this sort of thing doesn't effect a students chances either way. I published a paper in my departments undergraduate journal, but did not even use this paper as my writing sample, nor did I mention anywhere in my Statement of Intent that I had "published" a paper.

http://schwitzsplintersunderblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/applying-to-phd-programs-in-philosophy.html

^^This blog was extremely helpful for me throughout the process.

analogue: no offense intended, but publishing papers in undergraduate journals really won't help (or hurt) your chances of getting into a top PhD program or any program (in my opinion). The only paper that matters is your writing sample. Even if the paper which you choose as your writing sample also appears in an undergraduate journal this won't matter. I've spent the past several months preparing for graduate study in philosophy and in so doing have read countless numbers of blogs and blurbs from current graduate students and professors who serve on admissions committee and most seem to agree that this sort of thing doesn't effect a students chances either way. I published a paper in my departments undergraduate journal, but did not even use this paper as my writing sample, nor did I mention anywhere in my Statement of Intent that I had "published" a paper.

http://schwitzsplint...philosophy.html

^^This blog was extremely helpful for me throughout the process.

This is true. My folks are very well-seasoned profs who have served on admissions committees, as has my sister. And they all said the main things to make sure are strong in your application are your letters of reference, and your statement of interest.

What you say seems reasonable. Yet, I think you underestimate the importance of publications. That is, they might not add anything substantial to your profile as a philosopher, however, they are probably a somewhat good indication of a person's ambitions and commitment to academia. I may be wrong though.

Also, what about conferences, esp. participating in grad conferences as an undergraduate?

What you say seems reasonable. Yet, I think you underestimate the importance of publications. That is, they might not add anything substantial to your profile as a philosopher, however, they are probably a somewhat good indication of a person's ambitions and commitment to academia. I may be wrong though.

I can't imagine an ad com giving a second thought to your 'publication' in an undergrad journal (although it seems you've already made up your mind). Your time, imo, is better spent perfecting your SOP and writing sample.

There's no harm in submitting papers to conferences, but don't assume they'll be accepted. It's not necessary though as there is no expectation of such scholarly activity at the undergrad level.

What schools are you thinking of applying to?

Edited by magog

Luckily, I have some time before my application season comes, so to me doing some research/writing outside class for the sake of publishing/conferences is not a waste of time, but, instead, a great stimulus to do some more reading in the area of my interest and improve writing skills. Plus, since I still haven't made up my mind on the topic of my writing sample, there is no better way to do it than through actually trying to write something. This way, publication or conference participation is nothing other but a bonus one shouldn't miss on.

As for the schools, there aren't too many schools with continental emphasis, so, probably, Boston College, Stony Brook, Georgetown, LSU (MA), Loyola Chicago, DePail. Perhaps, some European schools, as well. Warwick is great, for instance, if I can secure some kind of a scholarship to attend.

Some other schools you may consider: Vanderbilt, Emory, Villanova, Fordham, Texas A&M, Marquette, Loyola Marymount (MA), Penn State, U of Memphis, Duquesne, U of Oregon, The New School

Check out:

SPEP list of grad programs

Pluralist's Guide

Some advice I would give that might be counter-intuitive: the temptation when writing a SOP is to make it seem like you have your research interests and project totally nailed down (thus showing how on top of things you are). But keep in mind that ad coms are probably looking for students with academic potential that are also open to conforming to the specializations of the department. My SOPs, for example, were quite general, outlining what areas I'm interested in without detailing a specific project.

Also, if you're invited for an interview/campus visit anywhere, be professional and personable! It sounds obvious but remember that a large part of what they're trying to determine is if they'll be able to stand working with you for 6+ years. I have friends who are brilliant but got shut out due to, I suspect, deficient personalities.

Other people's experiences may vary, of course, but I did get offers from several of the schools you'll be applying to so make of that what you will.

Edited by magog

STMphilosophy is right, undergrad journals are not a productive use of your time. Giving a paper at a conference would be better since it would give you practice in verbally explaining your research - and that will help you write a better statement of intent and help you impress people when you get into that grad program and need to find a supervisor. Once you're in grad school, take that undergrad paper, polish it up with the good skills and thinking you're developing and submit it to a proper academic journal for publication. If you pull that off, THAT will make you look like a serious player.

• 4 weeks later...

it may be a little bit off the topic, but it would be great, if anyone can suggest some info on postgraduate journals or other journals which publish works of postgraduate students (continental ones)