Fletcher Strengths/Weaknesses

Hey, no worries about the 'tacky' question - I received the same scholarship to cover 50% of tuition, but have a Fulbright scholarship and a national government grant to cover a significant part of the remaining costs. Working very very hard between May and September to save up too. Have early signs of an ulcer thinking about the amount of money needed for these two years! I am still looking at additional funding from a variety of sources in my country of origin. There must be alternative sources you can apply to, so you can effectively 'meet them in the middle' without having to borrow too much?

I have a very tacky question for you. I was fortunate accepted to Fletcher and received a Board of Overseer's Scholarship covering just shy of 3/4 tuition. Could you let me know how much you received? Sorry for the unseemly question but, to be honest, covering the rest of the tuition + the estimated fees for insurance/room&board/books/etc. means I am still looking at at borrowing nearly 60K as I have no savings...although I am grateful for the offer it still seems like an awful lot to borrow...I was wondering if it would be possible to ask for additional support...particularly if others have received it.

I was offered only $4000, and looking at the search, it seems that Tufts offered many others modest awards in this 4-6,000 range as well. Then again, my need might not be as great as others' - I've been working the past two years and do have enough savings that the first year isn't going to hurt too badly (and I'll be taking things one year at a time, I suppose...)

I have no savings as well and was offered 15k. I figure with living expenses the whole thing will cost me about 70k which I think could be paid off in 15 years provided I am able to obtain a decent job. although now that i think about it i also have 15k in debt left over from undergrad....it is scary. Maybe i can marry into money.

Wow - sounds like some of you got some nice funding packages. Congrats!

While I'm grateful for mine, it's a small sum - more a goodwill gesture, really :)

Getting penalized for saving like mad is no fun.

What's the consensus on trying to "negotiate" for a bit more - is that tacky/will it get me anywhere?

Also - aurora, I'm happy to tell you what I heard. Hope you don't mind but it will have to be the weekend though - I didn't have time to type up my learnings from all those convos and I've got two days of fieldwork ahead of me in some rural areas with no internet access.

Does anyone have any advice for getting off the waiting list? Unfortunately, I don't know any current students or alumni from the MALD program who could write me a recommendation :(

Also, is it safe to assume that if you get in off the waitlist that you get $0 in funding? Can you try to get funding for the 2nd year at Fletcher? Bueller???

Does anyone have any advice for getting off the waiting list? Unfortunately, I don't know any current students or alumni from the MALD program who could write me a recommendation :(

Also, is it safe to assume that if you get in off the waitlist that you get $0 in funding? Can you try to get funding for the 2nd year at Fletcher? Bueller???

I assume that you saw the admissions blog post about this but you should look at your resume and see what could be added. If you have no publications, try to get an opinion piece published in a magazine or a famous blog like huffingtonpost. If you have no qunatitative background then enroll in an econ course over the summer and tell the about it. I would try thinking along those lines.

Here are consolidated insights from my conversations with current Fletcher students.

Aurora - sorry this ended up being later than planned, but the upside is that I got to speak with one more Fletcher student in the meanwhile so her answers are reflected here too.

Fletcher Pros

- Breadth and depth of alum. you truly appreciate Fletcher's brand once you get there. In all top program graduates recognize and respect each other, but Fletcher grads seems to really reach out.

- Internationally no rival to Fletcher's brand in IR space, particularly public sector/gvmt sector/grass-roots/intl orgs.

- Not a cutthroat, competitive environment (no fighting to get into classes) Small, amazingly tight-knit community, everyone looks out for each other.

- Fields of study are not onerous. Curriculum built to give maximum flexibility.

- Ability to take 1/4 classes at HKS, MIT, HBS. For those who want to do it, they do and face very few barriers. Most are pretty satisfied with accessibility.

- Good career services office support and career services is specialized (they have a coach for only us government jobs, another one for international orgs. etc.) Treks to DC and NY that they arrange are very useful.

Fletcher Cons

- Flexible curriculum doesn't do a lot to help you focus. You'll need to make the calls on what you want to do and how you want to get there. Once you begin, tons of resources to help shape/refine your path. Otherwise you can easily float through 2 years in a somewhat unstructured way.

- "MALD" is a signature degree, doesn

I went to the Fletcher reception in NY last night and heard a lot of the same narratives as javajava just summarized. Still, one of the alums there is actually working in DC and only happened to be in the city - but came because he was borrowing the couch of a friend and fellow Fletcherite who invited him along. The relationships really do seem to hold up well, and the sense of community was strong.

Interesting input, thanks! Since I last posted, I've been admitted to a few other schools and offered a scholarship from SFS at Georgetown too... Really wish these schools would do events for admitted students outside the US, but I've been trying to get in e-mail/skype contact with as many alumni as possible to get a better idea. Doing lists of academics and specific courses now to weigh my options. Since I do not have financial aid offers from SAIS and SIPA, the decision is really between Fletcher and G-town now.

As you've noted, Fletcher really strikes me as a place where, with enough of a proactive approach in shaping the curriculum and taking advantage of cross-registered courses at MIT, HBS and KSG, one could get a brilliant 'best of both worlds' experience. It disheartens me a bit that so much of the debate in these forums is about the relative 'brand weight' and questionable rankings of schools rather than actual content and specific courses...

Still contemplating! Any feedback from those of you who are able to attend Open Days or admitted student events would be much appreciated! Let us know when you make a decision?

Good luck.

Admitted: Fletcher ($), Columbia, Georgetown ($), Johns Hopkins, George Washington ($), LSE.

Interesting input, thanks! Since I last posted, I've been admitted to a few other schools and offered a scholarship from SFS at Georgetown too... Really wish these schools would do events for admitted students outside the US, but I've been trying to get in e-mail/skype contact with as many alumni as possible to get a better idea. Doing lists of academics and specific courses now to weigh my options. Since I do not have financial aid offers from SAIS and SIPA, the decision is really between Fletcher and G-town now.

As you've noted, Fletcher really strikes me as a place where, with enough of a proactive approach in shaping the curriculum and taking advantage of cross-registered courses at MIT, HBS and KSG, one could get a brilliant 'best of both worlds' experience. It disheartens me a bit that so much of the debate in these forums is about the relative 'brand weight' and questionable rankings of schools rather than actual content and specific courses...

Still contemplating! Any feedback from those of you who are able to attend Open Days or admitted student events would be much appreciated! Let us know when you make a decision?

Good luck.

Admitted: Fletcher ($), Columbia, Georgetown ($), Johns Hopkins, George Washington ($), LSE.

I'll gladly blog the visit days for the ones I attend. Also, you remind me of one other selling point made last night that I hadn't heard/considered previously:

Dean Uvin spoke about the three levels on which Fletcher trains their students - the intellectual foundations/philosophy, the practical policy planning, and effective hands-on implementation. He pointed out that many incoming MALD candidates are very strong in one (majored in polisci & know IR inside-out, are coming from the field and are familiar with food distribution in Uganda, etc) and can use their time to supplement it with study of the other levels at which one can consider these questions. It was less a statement about the classes than about the school's philosophy, but it was a way of thinking about the purpose of these next two years that I found appealing.

If it makes any of you feel better, I currently have approximately $80,000 left over law school debt. My husband now has about $120,000 in debt (half way through med school). I got 15K from Fletcher, but nothing from SAIS or SFS (although I am conditional b/c econ prereqs so unlikely to get $). Still waiting on HKS $. I will be borrowing a substantial sum to attend any one of these schools, but I refuse to give up my dream b/c money. My view is that educational debt is good debt - an investment in your future as a person and professional. I gave up worrying about school debt a while ago. The reason I gave up worrying is that I know that eventually it will get paid off one way or another. It might be tough, but I am willing to sacrifice to do want I feel like I am meant to do in life. Sounds cheesy, but you have to step back and look at things from a broader perspective. I don't want to wake up one day and be 80 yrs old and look back on my life and wish I had followed my dream, and realize that I didn't because of a lousy couple 100Ks. I've already given up on one dream and I still kick myself every day. I don't intend to give up this one.

Ashes75 - I'm doing the exact same thing. Apparently 4 or 4.5 courses at Fletcher, I think it's the same for Georgetown. I got some more detailed course lists from somebody I know at SFS sent over as their website has much less info than Fletcher's - do you want me to e-mail it to you? Are you close to making a decision?

Thanks Aurora, that is helpful. I'm actually looking at SSP so I probably wont need the MSFS list. Im leaning pretty strongly towards Fletcher as they offered me scholarship money. Also, SSP seems more military oriented which may not be right for me as I do not come from a military background. As you alluded to, it is also harder to get information on Georgetown which I think comes from a haughty attitude where by they think that everyone wants to go to their school because it's Georgetown so they don't have to promote themselves. What are you thinking?

Just realised it was SSP you were after - nevermind! I have been leaning toward Fletcher for a while now due to the scholarship they offered me, but then Georgetown offered me the same amount last week and now I'm not sure. The curriculum at Fletcher does seem more suited to my background and future goals, but I just can't quite get over the DC connection argument, and the fact that Georgetown has some seriously amazing professors I would love to study with.

This is harder than I thought it would be!

I'm a current SIPA student, and I'd like to respond to a few of the claims here. I've left some out (the one's to which I had no response), so the list is a little incomplete, but here goes:

Advantages of Fletcher over SIPA

-The student body is smaller so you really get to know your fellow Fletcher students.

This is definitely true, though that doesn't mean you won't meet a lot of amazing people at SIPA and become close with them, either. You just won't meet everybody. Keep this in mind

I'm a current SIPA student, and I'd like to respond to a few of the claims here. I've left some out (the one's to which I had no response), so the list is a little incomplete, but here goes:

Wow. Thank you - please feel free to post more when you have time, either here or in the SIPA-specific thread. Now where are your peers who aren't answering questions on the SIPA boards?

One of the things I see many opportunities for at SIPA, and in some cases even as a requirement, is client-oriented research projects. There is something more pragmatic and marketable about that sort of degree capstone when compared to a traditional thesis. Is the thesis requirement really the only culmination of the MALD degree at Fletcher? I didn't see a mention of collaborative projects at all in the curricula I searched on the Fletcher website.

Honestly, I think this is one of those things that is tipping the scales in SIPA's favor for me (even without funding). Anyone think I'm crazy?

One of the things I see many opportunities for at SIPA, and in some cases even as a requirement, is client-oriented research projects. There is something more pragmatic and marketable about that sort of degree capstone when compared to a traditional thesis. Is the thesis requirement really the only culmination of the MALD degree at Fletcher? I didn't see a mention of collaborative projects at all in the curricula I searched on the Fletcher website.

Honestly, I think this is one of those things that is tipping the scales in SIPA's favor for me (even without funding). Anyone think I'm crazy?

I don't think you're crazy, but I'm personally unsure that a project is superior to a thesis. On a topic of my choice, I can still "write my way to a job" by picking a topic highly relevant to the potential employer(s) I have in mind - the title will certainly be something to include on my resume, after all. Then again, if I want to get outside the box of what agencies are currently working on and start thinking up proposals that could lead to starting my own NGO, going in as a change-maker at an existing agency, etc, I have the freedom to do that. Projects are very practical, but they carry limitations based on whom, exactly, you're focused on.

zourah, you and I are kind of following each other around on this forum. Have you narrowed down your choices, yet? Without admittance into I-DEV and no money, SAIS it out for me. That basically narrows it down to the remaining two top schools: Fletcher and SIPA

Fletcher gave me some money, renewable for the second year. There are non-language "regional courses" taught in French and Arabic at the school and the *potential* for study-abroad at HEC or SciencesPo in France. Program is flexible, and would allow me to pursue development. I still like the idea of collaborative research project, though, versus a traditional paper. I think that will remain in the "con" column for now. I do like the close-knit community aspect, ideally living in the dorms with a meal plan, etc. ... kind of a throwback to undergrad.

SIPA gave me no money, even after a second request. The *possibility* of a second-year fellowship has been dangled before me as consolation--and apparently they're quite sizable--but nothing guaranteed. There *may* be some courses, or at least workshops, conducted in French or Arabic that relate to development issues. The *opportunity* for completing a dual degree program with SciencesPo is there, although with only limited space available. I'll find out before April 20 if I can secure a spot now, but even if rejected, I could re-apply next spring. Another uncertain thing to bet on by choosing this school. I do, however, love the mandatory year-long development policy project in the second year in EPD. I think that's great.

When I look at the number of *possible* benefits I am taking into account, it seems my future at Columbia is much less certain than at Fletcher. I'm tempted to choose Columbia in the hopes that all of the things that might happen (e.g. huge 2nd-year fellowship, dual-degree, etc.) will in fact happen. If I had some sort of guarantee, I would sign up today. Now, I'm waiting again for another response before I can make my final decision. I'm wondering whether or not to simply write these possibilities off and go with what's certain ... and hope in the future that I didn't give up on what may have been.

zourah, you and I are kind of following each other around on this forum. Have you narrowed down your choices, yet? Without admittance into I-DEV and no money, SAIS it out for me. That basically narrows it down to the remaining two top schools: Fletcher and SIPA.

Same story for me re: SAIS, no Int'l Policy, no money, not making much of an impression.

Fletcher has been charming, and offered me a more-symbolic-than-financially-viable fellowship, but so far every time I've been tempted to throw all caution out the window and just DECIDE, it's been Fletcher I would be taking. The thesis offers me room to work, and I have at least one colleague whose major advice is to spend one year considering everything and the second writing one's way to a job - I think that Fletcher could really allow me to craft my own area of expertise in a unique way.

SIPA, also no aid (didn't ask after the initial "no"). I'm on their message board asking questions and not really getting answers. I used to think their UN ties looked really good; now I'm less sure that they'd really bring any benefit (maybe for someone with no previous ties...) I do really like the project AND the possibility of sciences-po, so if they get back to me about that, I could well be swung to consider. The size is a bit intimidating and the debt (I know the cost of living in this city, and I think they're underestimating that, too) frankly terrifies me.

What two concentrations are you considering at Fletcher? I'm looking at Human Security, maybe International Organizations...

What's your French/Arabic background? I feel like the similarities in our paper profiles, at least, might be eerie... (I was a French & Euro Studies major, Spanish minor, lived 6 mos in Morocco working on MSA and picking up some basic darija).

Finally, I've got a few additional messy unknowns. MSFS was my first choice going into all this, and I MIGHT take a spot on their waitlist after the visit days if I still think it's my favorite. Also, GW, while not my favorite, offered a really good fellowship - while I'm leaning towards turning it down, it makes looking at these other price tags all the more eye-popping. And finally, while funding info isn't even available yet and it wasn't the top of my list, I've got near-strangers telling me I'd be crazy not to go to Kennedy, so they're also still in the running, somewhere probably on par with SIPA and Fletcher.

Whew - visit week will be busy, but I'm sure hoping it helps add some clarity to my decision process!

I think dual-degree spots are in the single digits. :? Good luck to us both, then.

I'm a business undergrad with a minor in French. Spent some time in France working and studying, and here at the embassy in DC. Arabic comes from a year of MSA study at Damascus University, although my Syrian colloquial is much better. Maybe I should have held my spot on the MSFS waitlist. I withdrew.

I guess we just wait ... and wait ... and wait. The particularly grueling aspect of all of this for me is that I'm going on vacation to Hawaii on the 10th. I wanted to make my decision before then to ensure a stress-free week on the beach. Now I've got the 17th to worry about. :evil:

I think dual-degree spots are in the single digits. :? Good luck to us both, then.

I'm a business undergrad with a minor in French. Spent some time in France working and studying, and here at the embassy in DC. Arabic comes from a year of MSA study at Damascus University, although my Syrian colloquial is much better. Maybe I should have held my spot on the MSFS waitlist. I withdrew.

I guess we just wait ... and wait ... and wait. The particularly grueling aspect of all of this for me is that I'm going on vacation to Hawaii on the 10th. I wanted to make my decision before then to ensure a stress-free week on the beach. Now I've got the 17th to worry about. :evil:

Hey, we've both made it this far; no reason to believe two of those single-digit slots can't be ours...

I find myself deeply jealous of Hawaii. I mean, campus visits will be helpful...vacation-like, not so much. Maybe the sun and the calm will help you find the right choice, after all (or two choices, contingent upon the April 17 notification...)

All IR / International MPP currently deciding:

Can anybody tell me why most people do not apply to Yale's MA program (one of the founding APSIA schools)? I know it has an academic/theory bent, and is a small program, but would you go to Fletcher or HKS over Yale (MA IR) in heartbeat?

Hi guys-

Like some of you all I am deciding between Fletcher and SIPA.

Did you know that at Fletcher (as a MALD student specifically) you can only take four classes per semester (this includes cross-registered courses)? You can audit a 5th, but that's the limit. Beyond that you have to pay for each additional course.

Meanwhile, at SIPA you can take a maximum of 18 credits...and since classes come in 3-credit, 1 credit and 0.5 credit sizes, you could conceivably take 6 (or more but then that would start to get crazy) classes.

While I'm leaning towards Fletcher, I do wish they'd allow me to take more classes like Columbia. I happen to want an intensive curriculum experience and want to do as much as possible (and they have a great selection of classes). I think its not cool to ask me to pay for each class over 4 though...