I'm freaking out

Hey guys!

Here's the deal:

I'm currently getting my BA and am going to apply to Grad schools for Fall 2013 (for a Masters program). I am freaking the hell out.

I don't really have any experience. I'm hoping to volunteer for a certain Presidential candidates phone back from now-Nov. But that's about it.

I don't have any expeirence because I just discovered last semester that Political Science is my one true academic love :)

By the time I apply my GPA should be around 3.4 with either a 4.0 or ~3.8/9 in my poly sci classes. I haven't taken my GRE yet, I plan to do that in November.

Am I completely screwed?

I'm interested in American Politics and eventually want my focus to be government/ SCOTUS.

So far the schools I've looked at are:

SUNY Stony Brook, SUNY Binghamton, UNT, American University, Georgetown, GWU, U of New Hampshire.

Should I be looking at any other schools? Do I have a chance at any of these?

I would love some help.

(Sorry for the super long post.)

You might want to try the professional programs forum for more advice.

However, I would advise you to think hard about what you are going to get out of a masters program. I understand that it sounds nice to have a higher degree in a subject you are interested it. But without any experience and having just discovered political science, I would be cautious of going into debt for a program without being fully aware of the job prospects/kind of work you will likely being doing after completing this degree. My advice: get some work experience or an internship in the field you want to work in. There is nothing wrong with taking a couple years off after finishing your BA to do so. This will not only improve your application but also help you be certain that working in politics, government, or whatever, is the right choice for you.

Sorry, I probably should have clarified a little. Ive always wanted to do politics/government but it was only last semester that I decided to pursue just political science ( I originally wanted to be a HS teacher) Now, I want to get my masters and then my Phd. I want to go into academics and eventually do research and become a professor. Ive literally wanted to work in politics/gov't my whole life. I want to jump in to my MA right after my BA. I don't want to risk it down the road.

I agree with 3221. Taking a year off is not risking much, and might help you get some research experience. I am applying this year to American Politics programs and graduated May 2011. If anything, it helped me get my research interests in order as well as some experience. I am not scared at all that it hindered my chances of getting accepted.

I'm not entirely sure why you think you are screwed. Academic research is the most important political science experience you could have when applying to PhD programs. You need to demonstrate that you are qualified to do research in your intended field, and while having other "work-force" related experience might help, it doesn't necessarily.

For someone that is freaking out about being accepted, November is pretty late to be taking the GRE! I would definitely take it sooner, so that you have time to take it a second time if needed. I'm planning on taking it in August.

Good luck!

What is the MA going to give you? It is not required to get into a PhD. There are 2 clear things and MA can provide a person with. It can help show that a poor undergrad GPA is an aberration or it can help a person learn the field. Your GPA isn't the best, but you have a high GPA in the discipline and it seems like you know what the field is. You might do well to consider spending a year or two working instead, which might do even more to strengthen your application than an MA. Work on campaigns and in government is valuable if you can connect it to academically interesting questions. I spent 4 years in campaign management, consulting and lobbying. This did a lot to inform the questions I want to work on and has been generally quite received in my new department.

Also, what sort of MA program are you looking at? A terminal masters in poli sci like MAPSS or a professional masters like an MPA/MPP? The former will probably do more for you app than the latter.

For someone that is freaking out about being accepted, November is pretty late to be taking the GRE! I would definitely take it sooner, so that you have time to take it a second time if needed. I'm planning on taking it in August.

App deadlines aren't until Feb 1. Should I take the gre sooner?

What is the MA going to give you? It is not required to get into a PhD. There are 2 clear things and MA can provide a person with. It can help show that a poor undergrad GPA is an aberration or it can help a person learn the field. Your GPA isn't the best, but you have a high GPA in the discipline and it seems like you know what the field is. You might do well to consider spending a year or two working instead, which might do even more to strengthen your application than an MA. Work on campaigns and in government is valuable if you can connect it to academically interesting questions. I spent 4 years in campaign management, consulting and lobbying. This did a lot to inform the questions I want to work on and has been generally quite received in my new department.

Also, what sort of MA program are you looking at? A terminal masters in poli sci like MAPSS or a professional masters like an MPA/MPP? The former will probably do more for you app than the latter.

I don't think I'm ready to get a Phd yet. I'm looking at terminal masters programs. Is not having any work/research experience really going to negatively affect my app?

You should probably have at least one of the two. Research experience is always good. Work experience is a mixed bag. Its never negative, but it may not really be that positive. (Actually it can be negative if it distracts you from academically interesting questions. When I was in campaigns and lobbying, all I was ever really interested in was winning. This is not an interesting social science topic. I had to spend some time reframing those into things that I could appropriately ask in a poli sci department)

There are two threads started by The Realist that you should read. There's a lot o good stuff in there for starting to think about grad school and then constructing the strongest application you can.

You should probably have at least one of the two. Research experience is always good. Work experience is a mixed bag. Its never negative, but it may not really be that positive. (Actually it can be negative if it distracts you from academically interesting questions. When I was in campaigns and lobbying, all I was ever really interested in was winning. This is not an interesting social science topic. I had to spend some time reframing those into things that I could appropriately ask in a poli sci department)

Okay, this is it for tonight and I'll stop nagging :) I guess my main concern is that I won't get in anywhere and then I really will be completely screwed. Do you think I have any chance at getting into lower level schools (UNT, American University, U Conn, etc...)?

Sure, why not?

I also know nothing about the whole process beyond the fact that I went through it last year and had a successful go of it. I'm probably one of the worst people to take advice from on this forum. I took a somewhat circuitous route plus didn't even decide I was going to apply until about the middle of October last year.

App deadlines aren't until Feb 1. Should I take the gre sooner?

Sorry; I was thinking of the usual December deadlines for most PhD programs

As for your chances on getting in anywhere, here are some posts to start you off:

The best thing about grad cafe is that what would otherwise be unsolicited advice from strangers with no certifiable credibility is herein welcomed and openly sought out. This random point aside ... here is a random suggestion from a stranger with less credibility than Max (who at the very least has a nifty profile graphic):

Reign in your panic! As cliché as it sounds, you need to start thinking about how your unique experiences and skills have prepared you for graduate school and how your strengths will allow you to succeed in the "Academic World". If you tell yourself (and everyone who will listen) that you are un-qualified... you will eventually succeed in convincing everyone (and yourself) that you haven't got a shot. Be positive, dude... it helps!

The best thing about grad cafe is that what would otherwise be unsolicited advice from strangers with no certifiable credibility is herein welcomed and openly sought out. This random point aside ... here is a random suggestion from a stranger with less credibility than Max (who at the very least has a nifty profile graphic):

Reign in your panic! As cliché as it sounds, you need to start thinking about how your unique experiences and skills have prepared you for graduate school and how your strengths will allow you to succeed in the "Academic World". If you tell yourself (and everyone who will listen) that you are un-qualified... you will eventually succeed in convincing everyone (and yourself) that you haven't got a shot. Be positive, dude... it helps!

Thanks! This really made my day :)

Hey guys!

Here's the deal:

I'm currently getting my BA and am going to apply to Grad schools for Fall 2013 (for a Masters program). I am freaking the hell out.

I don't really have any experience. I'm hoping to volunteer for a certain Presidential candidates phone back from now-Nov. But that's about it.

I don't have any expeirence because I just discovered last semester that Political Science is my one true academic love :)

By the time I apply my GPA should be around 3.4 with either a 4.0 or ~3.8/9 in my poly sci classes. I haven't taken my GRE yet, I plan to do that in November.

Am I completely screwed?

I'm interested in American Politics and eventually want my focus to be government/ SCOTUS.

So far the schools I've looked at are:

SUNY Stony Brook, SUNY Binghamton, UNT, American University, Georgetown, GWU, U of New Hampshire.

Should I be looking at any other schools? Do I have a chance at any of these?

I would love some help.

(Sorry for the super long post.)

First off, chill. If you haven't been studying political science but you were studying something like history, there are ways of spinning that into an acceptance. Before you know where to aim, you need to have a rough idea of where you're going to score on the GRE. I know it's a super shitty comparison, but where did you score on the SAT (the 1600 version from back in the day)? Have you taken any practice tests that might indicate a range of performance? Try to do so as soon as possible so you, if you decide to apply, can determine which schools you want to be targeting.

Secondly, there are a lot of responses that are strongly encouraging you to take some time to get work experience after school before going back to school. Let's get this clear: you're entering your senior year at School X - cover your bases for your next step! That's what I did. Jobs, schools, internships, Americorps type stuff - I had no idea who was going to want me and how I really felt about my next career move, so I tossed a lot of things in the options bag. Seriously consider working options, Peace Corps, Teach for America, AmeriCorps, etc., and the different types of graduate options that you have. If you have all of a sudden decided that you must teach eager young collegiate minds about democratization, hegemonic war and the median voter theorem, then you should be shooting for a PhD in poli sci ultimately. Sometimes an MA in poli sci is the right way to achieve this goal - sometimes, it is not. This is where you need to think strategically about work experience (engaging, research-oriented, practical experience that relates to your area of interest) and whether it might not serve you better after you graduate than paying $50 grand for a year of learning that might not make you much more impressive when you apply to PhD programs.

Second, Max Power, nice to see you hanging around the boards! You psyched to be starting your program? We'll practically be neighbors - perhaps I'll see you at a conference soon.

First off, chill. If you haven't been studying political science but you were studying something like history, there are ways of spinning that into an acceptance. Before you know where to aim, you need to have a rough idea of where you're going to score on the GRE. I know it's a super shitty comparison, but where did you score on the SAT (the 1600 version from back in the day)? Have you taken any practice tests that might indicate a range of performance? Try to do so as soon as possible so you, if you decide to apply, can determine which schools you want to be targeting.

Isn't that perhaps not the best way of looking at the GRE? It's not an intelligence test and with enough preparation should be a largely teachable skill. If you have enough time to study for it then I don't think you should limit yourself bad upon what you'd get in a practice test without any prep.

Second, Max Power, nice to see you hanging around the boards! You psyched to be starting your program? We'll practically be neighbors - perhaps I'll see you at a conference soon.

I'm super psyched. I moved a couple of weeks ago and have started hanging around my department some. The AP crowd is largely around. I assume you are just about equally excited to start your program?

Isn't that perhaps not the best way of looking at the GRE? It's not an intelligence test and with enough preparation should be a largely teachable skill. If you have enough time to study for it then I don't think you should limit yourself bad upon what you'd get in a practice test without any prep.

You're right, but I was just suggesting the OP try to get a feel for whether he's going to be scoring in the mid 600s or the high 700s ultimately. If you don't break 720 on both scores, you're at a disadvantage when applying to certain programs. If OP knows where s/he will probably fall on the GRE spectrum, s/he can start focusing on the schools s/he has a good chance of getting in to based on GRE and GPA, and then research what they like to see in terms of the background in incoming students.

Also - OP: you might want to ask your schools career counselor what they think about all this, or a professor who likes you in the poli sci department.

I'm super psyched. I moved a couple of weeks ago and have started hanging around my department some. The AP crowd is largely around. I assume you are just about equally excited to start your program?

Nice! Yeah, I picked out my pad in June and I'm moving in about 10 days. Insane! What an incredibly torturous process it was getting to this point... I fear more tortuous processes are in store for us as we move into this next phase :)