GRE Verbal Vs. Quantitative

JoshEiermann

I have a friend who has recently taken the GRE and said you can choose between either 2 verbal and 3 quantitavite or 3 verbal and 2 quantiative sections. Is this true? I am having trouble find this info or if it is even reliable.

If so, what would you recommend I do for the three sections based on my skills?

-I am pretty sure I can get above a 165 on my quantitative, which is the bar for my top grad school.

-My vocab level is likely similar to a 6th grader. I am absolutely terrible with vocab.

My brain is fried from summer class and studying for the GRE, so I will leave this open to you guys. What combo will give me better chances at a higher score? I just can't tell if taking more Math should give me more chances for mistakes or higher scores...I'm twisted in a spiral of reasoning.

Thanks!!

This is false. Your test will contain three sections of one and two of the other, as well as the analytical writing, but only two of each section will count towards your score, and you are not told which two those are. My assumption is that the other section contains new questions which they are calibrating for difficulty.