Need some help, International applicant for U.S. PhD here

langdell

Hi all, I could certainly use some help regarding international credentials

I hold a Bachelor of Social Sciences, second class honours, lower division from the National University of Singapore (GPA, 3.8/5). (ranked 28th worldwide, http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011?page=1) .

I thought it was the end of the world for applying to Phd's, because UK modeled universities require a second class upper division to even be considered. However, i submitted my credentials to the World Education Services (WES) for a translation of my transcript, and was surprised to find out that my converted GPA was 3.67/4, according to United States standards (as defined by WES).

A little about myself:

- I have had 3 years of research research experience

- Undergraduate and Masters theses, couple of independent research modules.

- 3 Publications: 1 as a oral presentation at an International medical conference (IF. 2.0, 1st author). 2 in a medical journal (IF 2.4, 2nd author).

- 2 publications in press.

- Outstanding Researcher Award, by an international medical society.

GREs:

93rd, 95th, 95th percentiles.

Currently pursuing a masters program, also, LORs shouldn't be a problem.

QUESTIONS:

1) Does anyone know if my degree classification (second lower honours) would render my PhD applications to be filtered out in the first round of selections? (talking about US universitities here). Or do they look at WES's conversion (3.67 is a pretty decent conversion)

2) Would there be any differences between universities that are, say, "top tier" versus "bottom tier", in the way they evaluate foreign credential? (i.e. a top tier school doesnt look at converted transcripts)

I'd appreciate if other international applicants, or applicant who hold degrees from Singapore, to chip in on this!

Thanks for reading =)

I don't know for sure, but I would assume they would look at the converted transcript because it would be easier to compare to people with US degrees. I do know that most places ask for a translated transcript. With your GRE scores that high, though, and a pretty high GPA on the US scale, in addition to all of your publications, I seriously doubt that they would throw out your application in the first round. You look like a good applicant to me! Good luck! Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help.

You have a very impressive track record. Admittedly, I do not know what the polices are regarding international students. I will say this though, students from the US with your track record would be pretty much a shoe in for most PhD programs.