Is #14 the best I can do?

anon1

I would recommend reapplying. it is clear that your potential is in the top 10 and would be greatly wasted at anything lower. See, winners are picked and chosen. You got chosen to be a winner. Your prestigious undergrad, varied experiences in internships and high GPA prove it. Rank 14, is that a winner?

Now I'm personally not a winner, but I'm cool with that. Are you cool with not being a winner?

I'm not OK with not being a winner, symmetry :(

And comp12, I'm seriously not a troll... depressed? crazy? maybe. but honest, and not a troll. :(

Personally, I think I *could* get into a top ten school, with revised application package. If I could do whatever I wanted I would take the year off and reapply. The adviser's research here is not what I thought it was and I really am not excited about working on it :( Finally the importance of choosing a research fit is coming into very very very clear focus. :( However, I am getting pressure from my family, friends, and fiance to try out this school for a month and see if I still feel the same way (imo a horrible idea-- I am almost certain I will feel the same way then if not worse about being here, but if I leave then I will be burning bridges with this school and will have a transcript with W's on it, will incur costs for housing, possibly will owe the university money, will not have a good story for my future apps, etc. etc. etc.) Does this make sense to anyone else?

Another option is to apply to other places while I'm here, but I get the feeling grad schools don't usually like to take 'transfer' students... I don't know.

A final option is to stay but consider trying to work with another adviser if I continue to feel this way about my research area...

In addition, my being here will have caused my fiance to quit his good job and find another one here, which just doesn't make any sense given that I don't even want to be here. :(

I just worry that being here with a poor attitude will do more harm than not going at all this year. (Though I don't know how my apps will go next year if I don't have anything on my resume for this year... but I could probably get some kind of work before December.)

So much doesn't add up...

The adviser's research here is not what I thought it was and I really am not excited about working on it :(

UCSD doesn't start until next week. You've already begun working with your adviser already? If not, then shouldn't you have already known about the adviser's work beforehand while applying? But wait...you already said:

They have great professors in theory/algorithms, which is my top interest, as well as great professors in a number of other interesting areas: security, HPC, etc.

Seems like it looked like a fine program on paper. But now that you're there, you've got cold feet?...if so, fair enough, but how much work can you possibly have done before orientation week even began?

"Finally the importance of choosing a research fit is coming into very very very clear focus."

Bingo! You see the light! In fact, probably the biggest reason for choosing a school.

But wait....

Personally, I think I *could* get into a top ten school, with revised application package.

But, I have this gnawing feeling that I could have done better.

Ugh. So I still don't know what your priority is. I guess you don't like UCSD. Because of the research? Because its 14th ranking is too low? Are any of the higher ranked schools better for your research???

The schools I consider worth my effort to apply again are: Berkeley, Stanford, MIT, Harvard

I wouldn't hold my breath. But if you truly can't be happy anywhere else other than those four, then don't settle unless you get in there.

So why exactly are those four better fits for you? Do those schools have advisers that would gell better with you on paper? After all, you've already expressed some positive thoughts about the research fit at UCSD above. You've also said the following about the students at UCSD:

I admit though-- there are many smarter and more accomplished students in UCSD's PhD program in CS than me: people who have had multiple Google internships, who have graduated with 3.7 & 3.8 from Berkeley, who did actual CS research!, who were top contestants in programming competitions, who were top contestants in academic Olympiads, someone who was the 2nd best in all of Turkey in math, etc. etc............. So I likely wouldn't be giving up more than any of those people did (getting into a better school), by choosing to go to UCSD.

Heck, from a previous thread, you even loved the people there!:

The department at UCSD was significantly more friendly, so I think I should probably go there. :)

And now....you are bringing in family, partner, etc, issues...

However, I am getting pressure from my family, friends, and fiance to try out this school for a month and see if I still feel the same way

In addition, my being here will have caused my fiance to quit his good job and find another one here, which just doesn't make any sense given that I don't even want to be here. :(

Well, those all seem like personal issues you'll have to figure out. Most of us here are likely to not feel qualified to advise you on your personal relationships. We've all made sacrifices in some way shape or form at some point re: school. Choosing a grad program always involves planning ahead/compromise/conversation of this sort. Should you stay at UCSD because your fiance and your family is pressuring you? Should you leave because you think you can get into Harvard/Stanford/Berkeley/MIT? I can't answer this for you.

My hunch is this is a SOB story designed to add to the trolling pot. Could I be wrong? Of course, but my hunch is what it is. Obviously I can't prove you are trolling. That impression is formed by taking in all impressions of all your previous threads on the matter:

Anyways, if you are real, then I believe you are very well-intentioned, anon1! Check out this quote below from a previous thread by anon1. Godspeed anon1!

I also-- despite my prestige chasing-- really truly do want to add to peoples' knowledge of the world. I want to uncover new science.