GRE for Neuroscience/Psych?

nikala00

I'm interested in Behavioral Neuroscience for grad school. Last week, I got a 159Q/162V on the GRE. Do I need to retake it?

I have a 3.7 GPA and 2.5 years research experience with the same psychopharmacology lab (doing exactly the type of research I want to continue doing as a grad student). No publications, but a poster, thesis-in-progress and a couple grants I've earned for our lab, not to mention ample experience with research design. Should have raving letters of rec, all from professors in the Neuro/Psych dept. at my university who have used me for research.

Good Bio/Chem background (but not extensive, up through Orgo I and Biochem) with quite a few Neuro courses, but no Calculus or Physics.

I'm worried about that Quant score. Should I be?

Thanks for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

I'm a biology/psych double major and I'm applying to cognitive neuroscience and cognitive psych programs (but not behavioral ones). I've heard from a lot of profs that they look at a combination of GPA and GRE. You have a high overall GPA, so as long as your GRE scores are decent you should be fine. Most programs recommend a 600 (using the old scoring method) on at least one section, so all things considered you sound like a really solid candidate :)

My GPA is a little lower (3.5), so I'm really studying for the GREs to balance things out.

My quant score (on the old scale) was somewhere just above 50th percentile. Your other stats are good, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Research experience and LoRs are waaaaay more important. Yay behavioral neuro!