Low GPA from foreign university. MS in CS with funding possible?

dr_lee

I want to pursue a Masters in Computer Science (Networks & Communications )

I graduated from best university in my country (third world) but my GPA is just over 2.6 /4.0. ( unlike US universities, my university's average GPA is 2.7 but 2.6 still doen't meet typical "should be at least 3.0" requirement of every second university in US. My CS subject GPA is 2.7+). I also have some graduate level course certificates from a good university in Europe with pretty good score. (I took one semester scoring ~ 3.6/4.0).

I haven't yet taken GRE but from mock tests, I can predict that it will be Q 160+.

I also have one research paper in a OK journal but it in very inter-disciplinary field and I do not see any use of this paper as there aren't research groups in CS departments working on even remotely near topics.

I have over two years of part time RA experience. TAed three courses. Going to start fulltime RA next month which will continue for at-least one year - I will get 1-2 publications in this year but definitely no publication by the time I file applications for admission.

I have around one year of industry programming experience. Participated thrice in Google Summer of Code, shined globally in Microsoft Imagine Cup, plus one more same quality accomplishment.

Though I am inclined toward research but I am not sure if I want a Phd. So MS would also help me decide whether I want a research carrer or not, plus it will also nullify my undergraduate's bad GPA.

My dream schools are UMass Amherst, Harvard, UC Irvine's Networked Systems, Waterloo, Princeton .... But my profile is too week and I cant risk average of 80 dollars on each school's application fee.

So I am looking for a Masters program which (1) Gives me admission with these credentials (2) Gives me financial support in form of RAship or otherwise (3) preferably can give application fee waiver. (4)University should be good enough so that I can get into top tier Phd program after this masters. Any suggestions ?

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem here, buddy. I am also from a third world country; did my Bachelor in science in ELectrical & Electronic engineering with a gpa of 2.87 out of 4.0. My GRE is good-318 and IELTS-7.5.

But here no one is listening to me. no one is giving any sugeestion. I am going to applyt fo the fall 2013 semester. please keep in touch with me.

I have no idea how admissions committee work but I have a similar-ish problem - we get given raw percentages for our exam marks. These are normalised year to year though, so it's incredibly difficult to get above 70 unless you're some sort of genius. This obviously doesn't compare well to the US system, where it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that 70% would be a B/C grade?

Anyway, I contacted a few departments to ask what they think - they said that at most big universities, the admissions commitees will have experience dealing with foreign grade scales. They suggested leaving the GPA field blank and letting the committee decipher your transcript themselves. I would suggest doing this so that your GPA isn't mistakenly categorised as poor.

I have additionally included a page long appendix to the transcript that explains in more detail the degree structure and how grading works.

If your score is actually better than it appears, asking your professors to put your class rank in their letters could help: i.e., this student earned a score of 72% giving him a class rank of 4/279 or whatever.

• 5 months later...

Same problem here, buddy. I am also from a third world country; did my Bachelor in science in ELectrical & Electronic engineering with a gpa of 2.87 out of 4.0. My GRE is good-318 and IELTS-7.5.

But here no one is listening to me. no one is giving any sugeestion. I am going to applyt fo the fall 2013 semester. please keep in touch with me.

Any admissions ?