Need help preparing for CS GRE and career transition

byueng

Hi All,

I recently graduated in Manufacturing Engineering Technology and currently working as Manufacturing Engineer for a company in Utah. I want do masters in CS but I have no programming background at all. I want to prepare for CS GRE but I don't know where to start from. I can't find any good resources online that can help me. I have plenty of time with me to prepare before I take the CS GRE (upto 2-3 years but I want to go back to school as soon as I can) . I am starting a programming class in coursera starting next week I have no idea how much that is going to help me.

I only need to score 50% or over to get into the university I want to get in.

Little background

International student

Undergrad GPA - 3.5 (Manufacturing Engineering Tech)

Job Experience - Internship with manufacturing companies

Currently working as manufacturing engineer for almost 5 months

No programming experience at all.

I am open to any suggestion not just for CS GRE but for any career transition to CS field. Thanks in advance to all the replies.

On 9/10/2012 at 10:22 AM, byueng said:

Hi All,

I recently graduated in Manufacturing Engineering Technology and currently working as Manufacturing Engineer for a company in Utah. I want do masters in CS but I have no programming background at all. I want to prepare for CS GRE but I don't know where to start from. I can't find any good resources online that can help me. I have plenty of time with me to prepare before I take the CS GRE (upto 2-3 years but I want to go back to school as soon as I can) . I am starting a programming class in coursera starting next week I have no idea how much that is going to help me.

I only need to score 50% or over to get into the university I want to get in.

Little background

International student

Undergrad GPA - 3.5 (Manufacturing Engineering Tech)

Job Experience - Internship with manufacturing companies

Currently working as manufacturing engineer for almost 5 months

No programming experience at all.

I am open to any suggestion not just for CS GRE but for any career transition to CS field. Thanks in advance to all the replies.

With regards to the GRE subject test in Computer Science, it's a mixed bag, plus you will really need to be self-motivated to study at least seven or eight textbooks on your own. Your best bet is to take a couple of classes (discrete mathematics, digital logic, computer architecture, software design) from your local school as a non-degree student. You can also take online courses in programming from schools like UC Santa Cruz. Get your employer to pay for the classes.