Any Ideal 'Example Letters'?

ssk2

I'm applying from the UK - I've been out of university for three years, so two of my letters will be from managers (previous and current) and one from my dissertation supervisor who is currently a lecturer.

My two managers are not used to letter writing - whilst I've linked them to as many resources as possible online, it is difficult to know what an ideal letter should look like, in terms of formatting, content and style. Has anyone seen any good examples online which they could share?

Secondly - is there anything my managers can include to strengthen their letters? I understand that academic letters carry more weight - so this puts me at a disadvantage. However, I have very good relationships with both managers so these are likely to be far stronger recommendations than nearly all of the lecturers (or professors) that I know.

Edited by ssk2

I know there has been lots written on this but I'm not finding it, I think all of this has been tangential to the topic in the threads I'm thinking of (mostly in the NSF GRFP threads, it is well worth your time to look there briefly).

So I'll summarize here: Tell them exactly what to do--what the school wants to hear and is specifically looking for, what they should specifically write about or focus on in the letter (choose a focus for each letter to make for a more compelling ensemble), and if they are truly out of their depth, give them an outline of what they should write about where.

Sadly I know of no posted letters from reccomenders that were successful. I'm not sure such a thing is readily available since most applicants waive their right to see these letters as part of the admissions process and they are submitted in confidence.

Anyone else out there have such a thing?

Best of luck!

Would your dissertation supervisor be willing to give them some tips? I would think that, as a lecturer, he might be more used to writing the letters and could provide at least a basic format or perhaps a past letter with the specifics redacted.

Thanks Usmivka and amlobo - will try this out. I've already prepared a briefing pack for each based on what I've read online but there's only so much you can summarise!

Great idea regarding my dissertation supervisor - he actually studied in the US, so he should have a better idea of what is expected.