Harvard / Stanford / MIT Master's in CS

dasfool360

Background:

- bschool undergrad in finance & econ, worked 2yrs in finance, founded tech startup, about to get funding

- targeting fall 2013 admission, co-founders will manage startup, grad school = networking & recruiting

- want to learn CS, limited "open course" education in CS, have a Bachelor's, Master's is the only option

- getting into Harvard, Stanford or MIT = someone else will pay tuition + living expenses (thank god)

- recommendation letter from co-founders (2 IVY PhDs + 1 IVY MBA, not Harvard, Stanford or MIT)

- mid 600 verbal & mid 700 math for GRE

Given my undergraduate studies are irrelevant to CS, do I have a realistic chance at these schools?

If I do - advice on application, particularly the angle of approach on SOP, would be appreciated.

You might want to take some official college-level CS classes to show you have the background. Since your case is somewhat unusual, I'd recommend calling/visiting various CS master's programs and asking how they'd react to an application from someone like you and what they'd recommend to someone interested in applying to their program without the traditional background. I have found most people will be helpful and provide useful advice and will discuss how realistic plans are.

I contacted a number of programs before applying to grad school. Some told me my chances were low, but I applied anyway. Some had specific suggestions on courses I could take. Some were more interested in me than I ended up being in them. Only one experience was "negative" and that was when I tried to see someone unannounced (unexpectedly in the area). She was out of town, and I ended up chatting with an international student advisor in a nearby office who was very condescending. Fortunately, I was amused and irritated in about equal parts and decided she was a twit and did not take her too seriously. Still, it was interesting to see how someone COULD react to my record, if he/she was ignorant or arrogant (after all, there WERE a number of significant achievements mixed in with my "deficiencies").

I guess what I am trying to say is that for some programs, your non-traditional background may be an issue. You can apply anyway, and try to convince them you're "good enough," but it might not work. Other programs are more open to unique applicants. You can sometimes tell which programs are likely to be more receptive, but it's not always possible. All you can do is to take in as much advice as you can, see what would work for you, and put together the best application package you can (it took me 2 years to reach this stage). Then apply and see how it goes. Good luck!

I've posted in the past about how one of my interviewers told me what I was trying to do (i.e. applying to PhD programs) made "no sense" ... I am now in a different program at that school and VERY tempted to take a class from this professor ;)

Edited by emmm

You might wish to do a little more research. MIT doesn't offer a MS only program - you would have to apply for their PhD program and pick up a MS on the way. Harvard takes a handful of CS Master's students every year. Stanford takes about 150 but between 5 and 10 times this many apply.

Neither of these courses are suitable for someone without a CS background. You would need to either take the CS GRE Subject Test and do well on it or demonstrate other background in CS through college level courses, as emmm says.

Thanks for the feedback, emmm, ssk2. The application is due 12/15 and preparing for the GRE CS Subject Test in such short time might be a tall order.

Would you guys advise taking CS courses as a "Special Student / Visiting Fellow" and transfering those credit upon acceptance to the graduate program?

Would this approach materially increase my odds at acceptance next time - Fall 2014?

Assuming you can cover the pre-requisites well enough then yes - it will help greatly. However, it might be pretty tough to cover everything necessary within a year! I'd advise a hybrid approach - take as much as you can this year and then apply to courses which are aimed at both those with and without a CS background.

I don't know many but Georgia Tech is an example-

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/future/masters/mscs

UPenn also has a course-

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/grad/mcit/index.shtml

ssk2,

When you say "cover the pre-requisites well enough", are you referring to GPA or the core courses for CS undergraduate program?

As a Special Student / Visiting Fellow, I think I have to take graduate classes right?

Also - CMU's MS CS degree is open to undergraduates without a CS background.

http://www.csd.cs.cmu.edu/education/master/index.html

Finally, just noticed your GRE score - you should be aiming for near 800. It's not so important if you have a CS background and research experience but as someone trying to break into the field - you'll need to make the other parts of your background stand out.

Do you mean both verbal and math or just math?

I think he's referring to the old score system of 800 points per section. It is now 170 per section, and he is saying you want a perfect score, probably in math, but it would be equally valid to say you should aim for a perfect score in the CS subject test, which may indeed still use the 800 point scale.

It also looks like you are aiming at just 'name brand' schools, rather than programs that may be a better fit for you or easier acceptances based on your background. I'm pretty sure those aren't the only three to offer funding, but regardless of school it will be much harder to get funding as only an MS student rather than a PhD applicant.