Choosing a professor for a project

tomhaverford

So, I've gone to the chat room at this website a few times in the past, specifically when I was feeling really crappy right after a midterm, complaining about how worthless I am and how I'm planning on dropping out. LOL.

Well, I'm still in my MSEE program. Just started my second year, but now I need some advice. I have two possible paths to my MS: a thesis or a project, and I want to do a project. The problem is, I have to choose an adviser. I kind of want to do my project with a professor I had for one of my previous classes. I did okay in his class. I got a B, but I don't know if he...likes me. I wasn't particularly enthusiastic in his class and sometimes I had trouble focusing and got distracted. How should I approach this topic with him?

I'll be completely honest here. The only reason I'm in grad school is to help me in getting a job. I've never been super-enthusiastic about it. I know what you're going to say. "If you're not 100% devoted, it's not for you and you should drop out." Well, I'm more than halfway done and dropping out makes no sense, at least to me. So I just want to pick an adviser, do my project, and get out of here ASAP.

So, any tips? How should I talk to this professor?

I would recommend that you just bite the bullet and talk to him. Check out his website first and a few publications that he or his students have put out. See what sort of work they do. Explain why you think said work is interesting and if he has any projects available. Or you could be even more proactive, and if you see an obvious project, mention it. That's how I've gotten into any research project ever.

The only way to know if he likes you (more precisely, if you two get along and he is willing to advise you) is to meet with him and ask the question. Before you do that, you may want to talk to some of his current students to find out a bit more about his advising style and whether it fits your personality. Current students might also know if he's accepting new students and what kinds of projects he has going on. Once you have this information, simply go talk to the professor. You don't need to be super-excited about research but you should be able to explain what kinds of projects you might be interested in. It may come up and you want to come across as someone who is serious and will do the work well and in time.