Am I doomed?

Hi guys,

Am I seriously doomed? My Bachelors degree in English was only a 2.35. I had serious anxiety and depression at that time and could not focus on studies. I decided to go back and pursue a Second undergraduate degree in speech language sciences. Fast forward, my GPA in this program is a 3.9. But I decided to take a course at the same time at another college and received a C. Am I a lost cause here? The fields are so similar but it's obviously not part of the SLP degree. I'm thinking my hopes of being a SLP is over - should have worked harder in undergrad and i'm seriously paying for it.

I forgot to say Am I doomed for Graduate school..and will Grad committees count this course in the 2nd degree GPA or will it be a seperate grade looked at.

Edited by Eigen

OK, first of all, I don't think you're doomed per se. Your SLS GPA is great and (I assume?) meets all or many prereqs for a graduate degree in SLP. Don't stress too much over the C.

You may want to address your low English GPA in your SOP--you can briefly and concisely make mention of a chronic health issue without going into specifics (I wouldn't bring up anxiety and depression), but it's important for it to seem not as an excuse but as an explanation.

And remember that your SOP, LORs, GRE, and experience contribute to your total app. GPA minimums exist, but many people from the lower end of the spectrum get into grad school.

Where are you thinking of applying?

Well, you made me feel much better than I was previously feeling midnight streetlight. I'm thinking of applying to schools in the south: U of South Alabama, Auburn. Do you think that's a safer bet than the top ranked schools? Especially in my case.

Thanks for your advice :)

Well, you made me feel much better than I was previously feeling midnight streetlight. I'm thinking of applying to schools in the south: U of South Alabama, Auburn . Do you think that's a safer bet than the top ranked schools? Especially in my case.

Yes, I do think it's a much safer bet to apply to less competitive and/or lower ranked schools.

As far as an SLP degree goes, prestige and name recognition don't seem to matter as much as long as the program equips you with solid coursework and clinical experience.

And I'm glad you feel a bit better--all you can do is try!

Yeah, I took the GRE for the second time just today.

I canNOT wait to throw out all of my prep materials (well, I'm going to donate them to Goodwill, but I want them out of my house FOREVER!).

Oh, and I forgot to mention one thing: you probably want to apply to as many schools as you reasonably can to up your chances. Schools are receiving a lot of applications for not very many slots, but the admissions process seems unpredictable.

And if you have one or two top schools in mind, it isn't crazy to apply to them as well. Just make sure your list has a lot of the other schools similar to the ones discussed in your previous post.

Yeah, I took the GRE for the second time just today.

I canNOT wait to throw out all of my prep materials (well, I'm going to donate them to Goodwill, but I want them out of my house FOREVER!).

Oh, and I forgot to mention one thing: you probably want to apply to as many schools as you reasonably can to up your chances. Schools are receiving a lot of applications for not very many slots, but the admissions process seems unpredictable.

And if you have one or two top schools in mind, it isn't crazy to apply to them as well. Just make sure your list has a lot of the other schools similar to the ones discussed in your previous post.

Awesome - Thanks..Good luck in the application process! (:

Lol, doomed? So dramatic :-)

No, you're not doomed.

You've gotten great advice thus far. Follow it. My only question is: do you HAVE to submit that "C"? If I read it correctly, it's a course you took outside of USF (and your first alma mater, I presume). *I'll get pelted with eggs for saying this* I think I'd "forget" to submit that transcript (w/ just one grade on it). The way I see it, your narrative is: I messed up before, but look at me now! A 3.9 is rather impressive, and if the ling. course isn't a SPL class and was taken at a different school, I'd take my chances and omit. *let the pelting begin*

Lol, doomed? So dramatic :-)

No, you're not doomed.

You've gotten great advice thus far. Follow it. My only question is: do you HAVE to submit that "C"? If I read it correctly, it's a course you took outside of USF (and your first alma mater, I presume). *I'll get pelted with eggs for saying this* I think I'd "forget" to submit that transcript (w/ just one grade on it). The way I see it, your narrative is: I messed up before, but look at me now! A 3.9 is rather impressive, and if the ling. course isn't a SPL class and was taken at a different school, I'd take my chances and omit. *let the pelting begin*

No, (redacted) would be my second school attended, and the local college would be the 3rd. I heard that omitting a transcript can be a risk.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, you made me feel much better than I was previously feeling midnight streetlight. I'm thinking of applying to schools in the south: U of South Alabama, Auburn. Do you think that's a safer bet than the top ranked schools? Especially in my case.

I go to UA now. I also applied for grad. I really like it there. The clinic isn't that big, but the supervisors are really helpful and I really enjoyed my undergrad clinical practicum. They are also starting to do a lot more/interesting research. Good luck! And I definitely agree, if you have lower scores apply to Southern schools. Most take into account your resume, recs, and SOP. If your grades are lower look for schools that don't care about gpa as much.