SOP/Writing Sample Formatting Question

I know there are other threads discussing font/size/page length questions, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on a few other formatting questions...

My writing sample is in standard MLA format, so I have my last name and page number in the top right, and will obviously include a title when I come up with something brilliant. That seems fairly straightforward.

BUT, what about the SOP? I'm working on Minnesota's two right now, and I'm wondering if I should title them, page number them, simply title them "Academic Statement" and "Personal/Diversity Statement" ... leave them sans title and just begin with the text? How are others approaching this?

I'm also applying to Minnesota, and I'm titling all my SOP's with a header that has my name and then the title of the piece with a the page number in the right corner. So it reads: "Name Name -- University of Minnesota English Ph.D. Statement #1". I also have a little "informal" letter head flesh with the left margin that states my name, occupation (adjunct), school and location. I think it might be overkill, but I don't want them to ever wonder who's paper it is, so I kinda put my name all over the place.

A prof told me that unless they specifically state what the format should be, we should assume we can format it however we want as long as it's not over the top -- AKA no fancy Word formats or headers or anything.

A prof told me that unless they specifically state what the format should be, we should assume we can format it however we want as long as it's not over the top -- AKA no fancy Word formats or headers or anything.

That's sort of what I was thinking, but I was afraid there was some secret grad application rules that I haven't been told or something. :(

Thanks!

Yeah, it's a good idea to put your name (and page numbers!) at the top of EVERY page, even if your name is in the "title" (like in the SOP). I learned this working in an admissions office. That way, if things ever get mixed up, or a pile of papers dropped, they'll always get put back together again. I spent many many days in January one year writing names on the tops of papers before they were to be scanned. It was a pain in the ass.

Okay, another writing sample question--this may be really dumb.

I'm assuming we should include a title page (for Turabian formatted papers) and bibliography... right? Do these count toward the total pages?

I would assume so, but then I keep thinking, "what if they mean 20 pages of text?" Ugh.

I highly doubt a Works Cited page would factor into your page count. As for a title page, I'd just advise against it unless mandated - let them get right to it without having to scroll past or flip over a single page. Just put your name and "Writing Sample" at the top of the document and let that be it.