GRE Biology Subscore Question

bamafan

I thought I would post this here instead of the general GRE forum since it's specifically about the GRE Bio subject test.

Most schools don't ask for it, and I'm a bit concerned submitting my score will actually hurt my application. I did well on two of the three sections (Cellular & Molecular Bio 95%, Ecology and Evo 92%) but horrible on a third (45%)... The one that killed me is the organismal biology subsection.

I am not really applying to any programs that I think would care about that per se, mostly MCB or bioinformatics/comp bio, but I'm worried adcoms will be wary of the low third subscore.

Should I not submit to any program that doesn't request/recommend the subject test?

Edited by bamafan

My PI was on admission committee at the university that does not require subject GRE but strongly suggests it... As a matter of fact, he told me that since it is not required most people in admission do not even look at these score since they simply don't know what they mean and they have never seen exam itself. I guess 45% might look suspicious...But I don't think this might help you or hurt you in any way...

I had this problem last year. Had a low (I forget how low, maybe 60%?) ecology and evolution score, but my molecular score (relevant) was 96%. I found out that they do see the subscores, so I sent it and (hopefully not obnoxiously) noted the subscore in my CV. My application season went well. Whether or not the score had any effect, I have no idea.