Shipping A Computer To The US

I have a fairly beefy desktop computer which I bought a year ago. I've done the sums and it doesn't seem cost effective simply to sell it and replace it (it's old enough now where the difference between a new computer and its resale value is greater than the cost of shipping it).

I'm going to dismantle it into the component parts - leaving the case, power supply and my monitors behind. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to avoid having to pay import duty.

I know when shipping stuff into the UK that you can avoid paying import duty if it is unaccompanied baggage of your personal effects (http://www.ukimports.org/uk_customs_procedures_personal_effects_belongings_form_c3.html). Does anyone know if there is a similar exemption in the US?

Thanks for your help!

Something to consider is that even though the cost in rebuilding is more than shipping, will the upgraded components be worth the difference? For instance, I don't know what your #s are or how high-end the parts are, but you could potentially consider this as a time to upgrade.

Unfortunately, I don't know about any exemptions, but you could declare a lower value for customs. Alternately, since you're dismantling anyway, maybe you could just bring in your checked baggage?