Applying to HKS then to HBS

jedmtrix

Hey Guys,

I submitted my application for the MPA2 last month, and was wondering if it was possible to apply to HBS' MBA as well, but without enrolling in the 3 year joint-degree program.

HKS is my first choice, but for personal reasons, I can only stay in school for 2 years max. I am interested in both programs as they both in their own way, fit my career path.

Is it ok to apply to both school, but without going the joint-degree route? will this penalize either of my applications?

thanks!

previous education: two years BA in ECO & political science (64%), two years MBA (3.69 CGPA)

GRE score: 145-147-3.5

work experience: Civil servant (2 years full time months), ministry of interior (14 months full time), BBA hons students lecturer (6 months part time)

applied in HKS this year for fall 2013 MPP

other short listed schools are; SIPA , John Hopkins MPP, Chicago Harris, NYU Wagner, LSE

What are my chances of getting into HKS and in other shortlisted schools?

Do I need to improve my GRE score?

Looking forward for an honest opinion.

@ OP - You need to contact Harvard for this one. Some schools' websites specifically say that you cannot make concurrent applications to different graduate programs. Others might suggest that it looks unfocused to be applying to such different programs, but I am sometimes skeptical of claims that the adcoms are spending so much time assessing the psychology of any given applicant.

@ Laila - yes, your GRE scores are very low, even for lesser programs than the ones you've listed. A few adcoms have told me that you are very competitive when you clear the 70th percentile, which would be scores of 157+ in both Q and V. Your scores put you in the 20s. I get the sense these programs let the verbal score slide a bit for foreign applicants, but you would have to make up for it elsewhere. On these boards, people have posted admits with scores lower than 157, for sure, but usually it's only in one of the two main subjects, and/or they have compelling evidence of their skills elsewhere (high marks in quant courses, great SOP, incredible work experience, etc.) I'm also confused by your undergrad education. Do you know how a 64% translates to a U.S.-style GPA on a 4.0 scale? That percentage for us would be barely above failing (an F at most schools is a 59), but I'm assuming that it doesn't translate that directly? And did you get your MBA in the U.S. or elsewhere? Your experience seems good, though. I think your main hurdle is the GRE, and perhaps explaining why you want another master's degree on top of your MBA.

Hey Guys,

I submitted my application for the MPA2 last month, and was wondering if it was possible to apply to HBS' MBA as well, but without enrolling in the 3 year joint-degree program.

HKS is my first choice, but for personal reasons, I can only stay in school for 2 years max. I am interested in both programs as they both in their own way, fit my career path.

Is it ok to apply to both school, but without going the joint-degree route? will this penalize either of my applications?

thanks!

You can apply to both schools simultaneously, but if you get into both, you would need to choose one and only one since a joint degree is not possible.

previous education: two years BA in ECO & political science (64%), two years MBA (3.69 CGPA)

GRE score: 145-147-3.5

work experience: Civil servant (2 years full time months), ministry of interior (14 months full time), BBA hons students lecturer (6 months part time)

applied in HKS this year for fall 2013 MPP

other short listed schools are; SIPA , John Hopkins MPP, Chicago Harris, NYU Wagner, LSE

What are my chances of getting into HKS and in other shortlisted schools?

Do I need to improve my GRE score?

Looking forward for an honest opinion.

With your GRE scores i just don't see you getting into HKS or LSE. I don't know much about the other programs, but i imagine you will have a hard time there as well. You really should get 155+ on both sections of the GRE.

• 2 weeks later...