Does it matter where I apply for my F1 visa?

I'm hoping to do an internship in Australia immediately before starting my Master's course in the US. Does it matter where I apply for my F1 visa?

If I do intern in Australia, time constraints would probably mean the Canberra embassy would process my application. I live in London, so that is most likely the embassy that I'll be returning to in the future (if necessary).

Edited by ssk2

I would strongly encourage you guys to speak with your respective schools' International Student office and talk with an immigration advisor before you travel anywhere just to be safe. Don't rely on the Internet or this forum as immigration laws are highly subject to change.

Best of luck.

Edited by RiseofthePhoenix

As a Canadian, I'm fortunate enough to not need a visa to enter the US (but I still have to apply for F-1 or J-1 status). Here's what I've learned from my International Student Program office from last year's applications and also during the in-depth international student orientation sessions where they explained all the rules that apply to students.

1. Status vs. Visa: They are NOT the same. A "visa" is something that allows you to ENTER the USA. It looks like a page of your passport (has your photo and biographical info) and in fact, once you get it, it will be pasted into your passport. Depending on your nationality (i.e. whatever treaties the US has with your home country), your visa might have a "# of visits limit" (sometimes they are single entry, sometimes they are multiple entries) and an expiry date. No information about your school program etc. is on the visa. This is issued by a US Consulate.

"Status" is something like "F-1" or "J-1" -- they confirm your legal status as a non-resident alien in the US. This is a 1 page piece of paper that is mailed to you, containing your school information, financial support, etc. You need this to apply for your visa, I believe. This document is issued by your School's International Student Program office and it also expires (well beyond the expected length of degree though). 

2. Visas only matter when you try to ENTER the US. For example, if you have a visa valid for 1 year, you don't have to renew it after a year in the US. However, if in your 2nd year, you leave for a conference, or to visit home, then you need a new visa before you can enter the US again. But if you're already in the US, then it only matters that your "status" is still valid.

3. I am pretty sure you can apply for a visa to enter the US at ANY US Consulate. For example, many Chinese students end up going to Mexico to visit the US Consulate there to get a new visa (note: you cannot "renew" it, you apply for a new one once the old one has expired or you've exhausted the number of entries allowed) since it's easier than going back to China. This is called a "third country" visa application and they said it might be a little bit harder to do than applying in your home country, but not too much harder. This is necessary for some people who have single-entry visa only (which means their visa is no longer valid once they enter the US) because if they go to a conference in another country, they cannot return to the US until the consulate at that third country issues them a visa.

I definitely agree with RiseofthePhoenix though -- talk to your new school's International Student Office once you are admitted (most schools have a policy that they won't help you unless you are going to attend the school for sure). They know all the ins and outs and they can walk you through the best path. But hopefully the above info will give you some advance warning of what to expect.