Undergraduate grades vs Grad?

I'm almost positive this question has been raised before, but I wasn't able to find it (after sifting through the forums), my apologies! 

I have really poor undergraduate grades, and I'm not being modest, I mean in the 2.0's - this was largely due to being a caregiver for my parent. However, I'm currently in a top-ten MFA program, where I have a 4.0 and am scheduled to present academic papers in two major conferences, one internationally. I also have taken a slew of graduate-level academic courses, and have reading knowledge in 3 languages and know the specifics of what I want to study. Perhaps I score high on the GRE and subject test, and have awesome letters, would my undergraduate record matter much?

I'm worried that's the first thing they see. Thanks for help! Newbie here.

I can only speak conjecturally here, but I have a somewhat similar trajectory in that the first few years of my undergrad transcript are mediocre at best: mostly Bs and even one D minus in an English class. My final two and a half years, however, I have straight As. I took a two year break in between. Last year, I didn't apply to any PhD programs because I was too hung up on those first few years of poor grades. My department chair encouraged me by saying that the upward swing trajectory is MUCH easier for adcoms to overlook than if it were the opposite: started really strong and finished only okay.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it sounds to me like if your more recent work, writing sample and personal statement are strong, I don't think your undergrad record will keep you out.

This is one instance where having high test scores is essential. High test scores can offset a lackluster undergrad GPA.

Also, because you had a mitigating circumstance (one that is sympathetic and I assume has been resolved), you might want to address the issue somewhere in your application. But you have to proceed carefully here--you don't want to draw too much attention to the issue or make it seem like you're making excuses. You definitely want to ask a recommender for their advice or, better yet, have a recommender address it for you in a letter.