UF and Other December 1st Programs?

Purplepolarbear

Has anybody heard anything from UF or some of the other programs that have December 1st deadlines? The UF site says that they will have the files reviewed in December and will make decisions in January and February. When is the earliest you think we'll hear back?

Edited by Purplepolarbear

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to UF, but they changed the deadline for my program multiple times. The deadline I found most recently said 1/1/2013.

However, I received emails in December from one of the grad coordinators. I'm assuming they were looking at the files then (at least to some degree?).

Edit: Make that 1/15/2013! Funding is 1/1/2013, though.

http://soccrim.clas.ufl.edu/graduate/sociology/admissions/faqs/#deadline1

What is the deadline for my application?

All application materials must be received before January 15th. Materials arriving past the deadline may cause your application to not be reviewed.

Edited by Willows

I've had no word from UF either

I thought I'd toss my hat in this ring too since I applied to UF (and to add some field diversity! I'm going for Ling PhD)

for ling, the deadline was Dec 15th for funding and April 1st for non-fund applicants...so I fear I might have a long wait.

Yeah so I totally screwed the pooch on that one. My mind saw January and decided to read December and I submitted all my materials prematurely. Totally not getting now =(

There's no penalty for turning them early! :) It means you're on the ball.

Actually I was just reviewing an e-mail from the grad director and she said the deadline was in December. I am officially confused. On the website under the GRE FAQ it also says the deadline is December 1, 2012. Very confusing. Maybe there is still hope.

There's no penalty for turning them early! :) It means you're on the ball.

I pretty much turned all of mine in early so that I wouldn't be agonizing over them...then again, I had a whole year to work on my application to make sure every detail was as good as it could be.

I pretty much turned all of mine in early so that I wouldn't be agonizing over them...then again, I had a whole year to work on my application to make sure every detail was as good as it could be.

Yeah, my issue is I had a lot of last minute stuff I could have included, like acceptance to conference etc. If the deadline truly was in January and not December that would kill me.

Yeah, my issue is I had a lot of last minute stuff I could have included, like acceptance to conference etc. If the deadline truly was in January and not December that would kill me.

Oh in that case, maybe you could contact them (your dept.) to modify your application...? I don't know how that would seem...maybe other readers have suggestions?

Actually I was just reviewing an e-mail from the grad director and she said the deadline was in December. I am officially confused. On the website under the GRE FAQ it also says the deadline is December 1, 2012. Very confusing. Maybe there is still hope.

Very strange! Well, I know they were still accepting applications in December because mine wasn't turned in until then.. and she reached out to me around mid-to-late December to let me know that they were missing something or other.. and asked for me to email it to her.

If I had to guess, they likely changed the deadline at some point. So some pages say 12/1/2012 whereas others say 1/1/2013 or 1/15/2013. 

I actually was talking to my gradcafe pal about UF because ORIGINALLY the deadline said January.. then one day it suddenly changed to December. So, I panicked and was super bummed that I couldn't send in the rest of my application materials. Then I randomly re-checked sometime in December.. and that's when I noticed the deadline was back in January again. It was all very confusing!

By the way, I sent you a message!

Edited by Willows

No idea lol.

Oh also, I would honestly write a quick email that simply states you were accepted to attend <x> conference.. presenting <x>. (Maybe include a .pdf attachment that states the same thing so they can print it out). If the page is correct, the deadline was only about 5 days ago. Anything helps!

I resent my transcripts to a couple schools with later deadlines because my last semester was a 4.0 in all soc courses.

Wow, that's confusing. I thought the deadline was Dec 1st and you're right, I just read Jan 15 on the website. I turned everything in in mid November and I received an email from the department saying they would review the files in December. That's why I was sure we would be hearing something pretty soon. But with this new deadline I guess it's going to take a lot longer...

UF has not receded into the abyss. I'm not sociology, but I got an interview from them for their IDP in biomedical sciences program. They notified me last week. I would look for invites anytime between now and the end of February.

• 4 weeks later...
UF has not receded into the abyss. I'm not sociology, but I got an interview from them for their IDP in biomedical sciences program. They notified me last week. I would look for invites anytime between now and the end of February.
Good to know.