Do I need a PhD

Xero735

Hi all, I am wondering whether a PhD is even a good investment of time and energy for me.  I got my masters in math/applied math in 2011.  Since then I have worked at Boston University doing computational immunology and am now am a bioinformatician doing research and development at a well funded and profitable MIT/Harvard Biotech Startup.  

My question is simple:  Should I be thinking about getting my PhD in bioinformatics/computational biology if I already have a job in the field (doing cutting edge NGS Analysis).  While a PhD would open new opportunities solely for having a PhD, I feel I am learning a lot and don't feel being in a doctoral program would aid me much in my knowledge and skills.  Thoughts?  

Hi all, I am wondering whether a PhD is even a good investment of time and energy for me.  I got my masters in math/applied math in 2011.  Since then I have worked at Boston University doing computational immunology and am now am a bioinformatician doing research and development at a well funded and profitable MIT/Harvard Biotech Startup.  

My question is simple:  Should I be thinking about getting my PhD in bioinformatics/computational biology if I already have a job in the field (doing cutting edge NGS Analysis).  While a PhD would open new opportunities solely for having a PhD, I feel I am learning a lot and don't feel being in a doctoral program would aid me much in my knowledge and skills.  Thoughts?  

I'm not in your field but feel kinship to the situation.  I, myself, have real momentum in my life/career at this point but when I think about what I would want to do in 10 years then a phd feels like the best way of getting there.  If you see yourself getting to a point where you want to be by staying put then the phd is probably not for you.

In my situation - a phd is probably a side-step, compared to moving up,  when it comes to money/work/fame but I still feel like it is the way that I want to go. 

It probably depends on your long term career goals. If you want to run a lab, you will need a PhD. If you want to teach it may help too. If you just want to work in a lab as you are doing now, it may be fine. I would talk to people in your field about this