Duke

lindsey10

Hey all,

I'm trying to gauge my chances at Duke. I was wait-listed after all the fanfare, which I'm quite bummed about of course. Today I received an offer from another university which includes tuition, stipend, and a relocation grant, but I need to reply within 4 weeks, which is sooner than I assume all Duke admits will have made a decision. So are there any Duke admits that are already fairly decided one way or another? Just wondering what kind of chance I have to get off the list.

Thanks!

I would email the grad director in the department at Duke and let them know about the offer: say that you received a fully-funded offer, but that Duke remains your top choice. I've seen this tactic pay off for getting people bumped off the wait list in my former department.  

Contacted the DGS and got the expected "admits have until April 15th..." so just in case you are a Duke admit and you know for sure you will go elsewhere, please decline when possible. I wouldn't normally be so bossy-sounding, but I'm on Duke's wait-list and my 2nd-choice school wants an answer in 3 weeks. Many, many thanks! I'll also post this on the results board for those who don't read the forums. Thanks again and best wishes! :-)

Contacted the DGS and got the expected "admits have until April 15th..." so just in case you are a Duke admit and you know for sure you will go elsewhere, please decline when possible. I wouldn't normally be so bossy-sounding, but I'm on Duke's wait-list and my 2nd-choice school wants an answer in 3 weeks. Many, many thanks! I'll also post this on the results board for those who don't read the forums. Thanks again and best wishes! :-)

I would suggest emailing the department at Melbourne and explaining that you are waiting to hear back from another school here. I had to get extensions on my UK decisions a couple years ago while waiting to hear back from US programs. They were all flexible. Good luck.