Columbia vs. NYU for Social Work

gfl212

Hello,

I've been admitted to both Columbia and NYU for their two-year MSW programs. Does anyone have any insight as to which school has a better program?

I am interested in Clinical Social Work, and I've heard that NYU has better clinical internship opportunities, but it's hard to turn down Columbia.

Any insight is much appreciated!

I went to Columbia and I know some people who went to NYU. Honestly, I'd go with NYU. Their clinical program is better and Columbia has no incentive to help out any of the students because it's an IIIIIIIvy, well la-dee-dah. There are also big problems there with professors not wanting to talk about race (or anything controversial). 

That being said, I didn't hate the Columbia program (I was only there for a year, though...Advanced Standing...), and after graduation I got a decent research job (I was a policy student) and a year after that I got pretty much my dream job. But most everyone I know who was in the Columbia program really hated it. 

Yikes. Can you give me examples of what made people hate it?

Do you think the Columbia name helped you get your dream job more so than NYU?

I did my undergrad at NYU and loved it, and I have heard that their clinical program is excellent, but it's difficult to turn down the Columbia name...