Gently pushing for a higher stipend

dirkhaim

I have a few offers from some good schools and I am contemplating about trying to push one of the offers a bit higher (stipend wise) using the others, because basically this is the one that I find the most interesting at the moment.

Do you think this might work? What kind of 'raise' can I get?

If there's anyone here with experience with this problem, it will be very helpful

My understanding is that stipends are pretty much standardized within a department. You might be able to push for a fellowship or something if those come with higher stipends at that school. If you ask me, just be happy with your offers as-is... this isn't a job search.

I don't think it is a good way to start a 5 year "relationship" with your new "home" (department) by asking them for more money, especially in this economy. I am sure you can get an internship in the summer and it will help a lot.

It's not a job search, but there's still a pretty big difference between the schools

Also, in this economy, as you said, I doubt there will be so many internships available in the summer. Anyway, how much these really mount to at the end?

Ask only if you have a good reason: like you have a family to take care, or you find the stipend is insufficient for living comfortably.

Otherwise, do not ask. You are not going to grad school to make money. Beside, you can not really compare stipend, because different cities have different standard of living.

A few things to think about:

1) Are you negotiating from a position of strength or weakness? ie, are you the top 25% of whom they want to admit, or just another admit....

2) How does the cost of living in the different areas compare? I would expect a higher stipend in Boston(MIT) or the bay area (Berkeley,Stanford) than in southern Illinois (UIUC) or Pittsburgh (CMU).

3) How are they funding you? If it's a TA, they may not have much flexibility.. RAship depends on the funding and their current budget.

4) Financially, all universities (public/private) are have issues.

My understanding is that stipends are pretty much standardized within a department. You might be able to push for a fellowship or something if those come with higher stipends at that school. If you ask me, just be happy with your offers as-is... this isn't a job search.

Agree, one of my friend used this trick and got a 4k fellowship, in addition to TAship.