CMU vs USCD vs John Hopkins - EE Phd.

Ramji

I have got admitted to Phd program in EE in CMU (Silicon Valley Campus), USCD, John Hopkins - all of them with aid. My interests are in Signal process with application to Bio-med (ex: Brian Computer Interface).

Need some help in deciding was inclined towards CMU if it was in Pittsburgh - can I move to Pittsburgh (I am not getting a clear answer, Prof says I will be located where my Phd adviser will be, however that will be after an year or so.

Will appreciate inputs on which of these programs would be good for a EE with bio applications (want to graduate from EE though).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same situation but my interests are more in hardware for medical applications. I'd pick UCSD personally because the bioE program is really good and you could be co-advised. Dr. Coleman is in the BioE department and is someone worth checking out. I don't know enough about CMU to say anything there. As far as JHU, they are good at BIoE and have a good med school but I've never heard much about their EE department. UCSD is more highly ranked in that regard.

I'm in the same situation but my interests are more in hardware for medical applications. I'd pick UCSD personally because the bioE program is really good and you could be co-advised. Dr. Coleman is in the BioE department and is someone worth checking out. I don't know enough about CMU to say anything there. As far as JHU, they are good at BIoE and have a good med school but I've never heard much about their EE department. UCSD is more highly ranked in that regard.

Thanks for the reply, yes looked at Dr. Coleman, have written to him, awaiting reply, I have applied to EE and am EE student though. JHU has replied back stating they encourage multi-disciplinary work ..  CMU only if they transfer me to Pittsburgh have communicated to a few profs, still awaiting response.