Special Education Masters?

johns672

Excuse my ignorance on this topic as I truly don't know. But I am graduating with my BS in Communication Sciences and Disorders this May. I have applied to grad school for speech-language pathology but have received some rejections so I am trying to get some back-up plans in order.

My question is if I would want to work in this population (special education) is a masters required or recommended? My field is somewhat related to special education but I don't know if I would be qualified since I don't have an undergraduate degree in special education. Also, since my undergrad is not special education does that disqualify me from grad school because I am out of field?

If I can pursue a career in special ed with my current degree that would be ideal but I just want to cover all bases.

Thanks!

johns672: A lot of this depends on the state you work in and its rules regarding licensure. In all public schools I am aware of, special education requires a license, which generally requires x-number of credits (or a specific sequence of credits) in special education. Graduate school isn't mandatory to work in this field, assuming one has education/special education experience as an undergraduate, but I think in your situation you might need to seriously consider it.

Not having a special education background will not prevent you from getting into all programs. Many universities have what they call alternative certification programs, which are often tied to master's degrees in special education, which allow people such as yourself (having no formal special education background) to get the training and complete the requirements for some sort of alternative or provisional teaching license. Although I didn't do alternative certification in special education, my original license was from a similar type of program. As soon as I was accepted to the program, I was eligible to apply for an internship license, and therefore work; however, I had to complete my program within three years, as the internship license was only good for this duration and was non-renewable.

To work as a speech and language pathologist, there may be different requirements that I am unfamiliar with. However, if you plan to pursue positions as an entry-level special education teacher, a license will more than likely be necessary, which probably entails more schooling.

Hi, Johns672! You sound like an ideal candidate for an initial certification masters program in special education. I completed a program like this and really enjoyed it. I came from a mental health background. Anyway, I encourage you to go for it but please be cautioned that it is a very tough field and the burnout rate is extremely high.  The legalities in special education are not something they teach in the universities. Attorneys regularly attend my IEP meetings. You must be confident in your abilities and be able to advocate for your students. Also, depending on the class you teach (I teach severely disabled students), you have to be prepared for snot, poop, drool, diapers, catheters, seizures, giving up your lunch period every day to unpack everyone's lunches and open all their milk cartons and feed students who cannot feed themselves, dressing students, etc.... it could be a kindergarten or a high school student.  You must be extremely creative to modify a standard curriculum and learn to handle to meltdowns of individual students and possibly become certified to properly restrain them if needed. If you choose to teach resource students you have to have a lot of patience and skill to help them master those pesky standardized tests so they can achieve a regular high school diploma vs. a special education diploma. Or, you could end up co-teaching in an inclusion classroom.

Some states have programs where they will pay for you to become certified in special education since it is a high-need teaching field. If you decided not to do a masters to could do a post-bac teaching certification program. Be sure to check around for programs like these! I began teaching on an alternative license before I even had my first masters class, though I did have a masters in a related area and had been working with the same student population in a different setting. It can be scary but you will figure it out real fast... or else the kids will eat you alive! j/k

Shadowing a special education teacher in a few different settings would be very helpful for you. If you find that it is your calling, good luck!!! :) There is never a lack of excitement in a special education classroom.

Edited by SpEd13

Thanks! The school I'm at right now offers a post-bacc program in deaf and hard of hearing teaching which can apparently turn into a masters in special education with 12-15 more credits of schooling (most of which can be done online). I know what I am up against working with this population. I've done almost two years working with kids on the autism spectrum as well as volunteering at a therapy horse farm with those with developmental disabilities.

I feel that if I were to not get in to grad school this would be an excellent alternative since it still kind of deals with what my background is in. Truthfully speaking, I'm kind of more excited to look into this program than continuing to stress over my decisions from SLP masters programs!