Worried my past will affect my MSW chances - guidance/advice appreciated!

worriedinnc

Hi everyone! Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place but I would really love to hear from those who may be applying/accepted/in an MSW program.

I am 26 and hoping to apply for admission in fall 2014. I was a public service scholar in college, very involved (disaster relief post-Katrina, volunteered abroad, etc), but majored in something unrelated to SW (journalism). This major at my school is incredibly difficult (a top program in the country) and most of the classes are concentrated in junior and senior year so it tanked my GPA in the last 60 credit hours. Overall I have a 3.1 and my minor was sociology. If you were to look at only the psychology and sociology classes on my transcript I'd have a 4.0 - obviously I should have stuck with what I was good at. :) But my GPA for the last 60 credit hours is probably closer to a 2.8.

Aside from grades, I'm concerned because the last 4 years of my life have really prevented me from volunteering/working in public service as I had planned. One parent became chronically ill in my last year of college and the other terminally ill in my last semester, so as soon as I graduated I moved home to care for both of them (no other family in the US) and understandably battled a lot of mental illness during this time. Despite all that was going on I started my own business (related to my journalism degree) and that's how I've been sustaining in the chaos since graduation. There was no way I could work a 9-5, take an internship, or commit to volunteer regularly. The issues of those past 4 years have finally resolved and I am SO READY to get back to what I know I was made to do, and I feel even more capable of it after going through what I've been through. I just don't know that I'll get a chance to explain that, or even if I do that it won't matter because of grades and lack of post-grad experience.

My questions:
- I'm looking at taking one or two upper level sociology classes online this summer and fall through UNC (for academic credit) to re-introduce myself to academics and perhaps show MSW admissions that when my life isn't collapsing around me I am capable of high academic achievement since my grades in the last few years of college were much worse than the first few because of what was going on in my life. Do you think this would be worth the money and time to do considering the circumstances? Or is that sort of thing a waste of time after you already have your bachelors degree in something completely unrelated?
- I am looking to do domestic violence advocate training/be a regular volunteer in my area this year. I just worry they'll look at the 4 year gap in volunteer/public service and laugh at me. Do you think I need to put things off even longer and volunteer for another year before applying? If I apply in Feb 2014 I'd be starting the program at 28 (fall 2014) so I really don't want to push it off any longer, but I also don't want to invest in classes/GRE/applications etc if getting into a program is going to be a pipe-dream for someone like me.

Any guidance you might have would be so appreciated (as well as brutal honesty!) What can I be doing between now and application time to show admissions folks that I'm capable and ready to pursue this degree?

Hi I am no expert at getting into programs. But overall, I do not think your grades are that bad and I think it would be wise to take some classes online...maybe you could take some social work classes, like, BSW or MSW credits...I know a lot of schools allow for visiting credits. And it would not be a waste of time/$ because you could likely transfer these credits.

I also think you can volunteer MANY places that would take you even with a gap in volunteer experience such as local soup kitchens, ect., even this level of volunteer experience would show to MSW programs that you are serious about your future in human services. I think they understand many ppl. must work that's why volunteering 3hrs on a sunday is sufficient if your 9-5 schedule and other commitments wont allow for more. I feel that I had very little human service experience when I applied compared to many ppl. on these boards.

Then,  in your letter of interest/personal state, you can explain a lot of this to the committee in a positive way if you take classes online you have even more back up for your statement, you know? Not everyone is a traditional student that goes from BSW to MSW right away and graduate programs value diversity.

One thing I would caution is NOT saying the reason my grades were low is bc I went to an incredibly challenging and top program for my major...bc every social work program tends to think their program is challening, so you are saying I don't succeed when I am challenged -- Just bc you got a lower grades in your major of study does not mean you are stupid and you do not need to justify it by saying my program was challening (though I'm sure it was), you can show you are smart in other ways --- Just state it plainly that you recognize and take responsibility that your grades were not that good and here is why I think I struggled (ie: I was not as good at journalist as I was at say sociology, I had X, Y and Z going on and now I have delt with X, Y, Z as evidenced by my success in taking X and Y course online at UNC and this has shown me that I am excited to pursue this career along with my volunteer experience at X and Y yadda yadda). You know, I'm just summarizing thoughts -- I think this shows maturity and growth which are all positive aspects of your story.

Personally, I think your story is really interesting and you would be a great MSW candidate and I'm super excited for you. You can always talk more to specific programs and see waht else you can add to your application to make it more competitive usually professors on admissions committees are helpful.

BEST OF LUCK!

Have to agree.  I also know certain colleges that might allow you to take one or two classes in their MSW program as a non-matriculated student, which might help.  You also might find master's level classes that could transfer in - most schools allow 2-3 classes to transfer in to their program if they are equivalent.  Experience is important so you can spend your time beefing that up also.

My questions:

- I'm looking at taking one or two upper level sociology classes online this summer and fall through UNC (for academic credit) to re-introduce myself to academics and perhaps show MSW admissions that when my life isn't collapsing around me I am capable of high academic achievement since my grades in the last few years of college were much worse than the first few because of what was going on in my life. Do you think this would be worth the money and time to do considering the circumstances? Or is that sort of thing a waste of time after you already have your bachelors degree in something completely unrelated?
- I am looking to do domestic violence advocate training/be a regular volunteer in my area this year. I just worry they'll look at the 4 year gap in volunteer/public service and laugh at me. Do you think I need to put things off even longer and volunteer for another year before applying? If I apply in Feb 2014 I'd be starting the program at 28 (fall 2014) so I really don't want to push it off any longer, but I also don't want to invest in classes/GRE/applications etc if getting into a program is going to be a pipe-dream for someone like me.

Any guidance you might have would be so appreciated (as well as brutal honesty!) What can I be doing between now and application time to show admissions folks that I'm capable and ready to pursue this degree?

Most programs I've applied to require a minimum GPA during your last 60 hours, however, less competitive programs might be more willing to look at your individual circumstances, versus just numbers.  With that being said, if I were a reviewer (and I've prepared all of my statements based around what someone who knew nothing about my aside from my packet would think), I would be concerned that since you obviously dealt with some tough circumstances and you performed at an average level in undergraduate, your performance wouldn't be "up to par" in graduate school if unforeseen circumstances arose.  For instance, you're placed with an agency for your practicum hours and something happens in your personal life that is beyond your control that you need to deal with, how would you plan to balance your academics, practicum and personal life without letting your personal life interfere with the first two objectives?  (This is a rhetorical question that you would need to convince a reviewer of without them even asking you).  As far as public service goes, I think it would be beneficial to get back into the field you're interested in, but I don't think your recent public service experience will make or break your application, since you have been working while you've been out of school.

I would also caution you against making your circumstances seem like an "excuse" for your performance.  I would advise you to really formulate strong wording that explains your particular situation, but that allows you to take responsibility for your performance and actions.  Like I said, my biggest concern for you would be that you would be able to deal with your personal life and graduate school separately and successfully.  If you really believe in yourself and your ability, my thought would be that you could prepare a personal statement that was strong enough to convince others.  I would also encourage you to look at less competitive programs, because if your hope is to attend a top school, you are probably less likely to be accepted when there are other candidates with strong credentials.

I wish you the best of luck.  I know how hard it can be to juggle life and school and I commend your desire to go back after a hiatus.  I hope you don't take my comments too harshly, I just wanted to provide you with my two cents on your situation.

Thank you so much for your feedback! You make really good points about not blaming the program on being challenging. I think really it boils down to the fact that it wasn't the right field for me and the program itself was heavily project based. If I had been in a major that was heavy on reading/paper writing I don't think my life circumstances would have shown up as much in my final grades as they do in the project-based classes because I could have done those things from two hours away. Quite challenging to do semester-long local reporting and multimedia projects when you have to drive back and forth from your home town 2 hours away 3 times a week to take care of things there. Thank you for your encouragement - this makes me feel like maybe there is a path to an MSW despite all of it.

Hi I am no expert at getting into programs. But overall, I do not think your grades are that bad and I think it would be wise to take some classes online...maybe you could take some social work classes, like, BSW or MSW credits...I know a lot of schools allow for visiting credits. And it would not be a waste of time/$ because you could likely transfer these credits.

I also think you can volunteer MANY places that would take you even with a gap in volunteer experience such as local soup kitchens, ect., even this level of volunteer experience would show to MSW programs that you are serious about your future in human services. I think they understand many ppl. must work that's why volunteering 3hrs on a sunday is sufficient if your 9-5 schedule and other commitments wont allow for more. I feel that I had very little human service experience when I applied compared to many ppl. on these boards.

Then,  in your letter of interest/personal state, you can explain a lot of this to the committee in a positive way if you take classes online you have even more back up for your statement, you know? Not everyone is a traditional student that goes from BSW to MSW right away and graduate programs value diversity.

One thing I would caution is NOT saying the reason my grades were low is bc I went to an incredibly challenging and top program for my major...bc every social work program tends to think their program is challening, so you are saying I don't succeed when I am challenged -- Just bc you got a lower grades in your major of study does not mean you are stupid and you do not need to justify it by saying my program was challening (though I'm sure it was), you can show you are smart in other ways --- Just state it plainly that you recognize and take responsibility that your grades were not that good and here is why I think I struggled (ie: I was not as good at journalist as I was at say sociology, I had X, Y and Z going on and now I have delt with X, Y, Z as evidenced by my success in taking X and Y course online at UNC and this has shown me that I am excited to pursue this career along with my volunteer experience at X and Y yadda yadda). You know, I'm just summarizing thoughts -- I think this shows maturity and growth which are all positive aspects of your story.

Personally, I think your story is really interesting and you would be a great MSW candidate and I'm super excited for you. You can always talk more to specific programs and see waht else you can add to your application to make it more competitive usually professors on admissions committees are helpful.

BEST OF LUCK!

Thanks for responding! You've given me a lot to think about and you were not too harsh at all. The very short and blunt surface answer is that because my parents are now both deceased I literally can't foresee circumstances like the ones that arose when they both got sick at the same time. It literally can't happen again. But I also don't think that the confluence of events in my case comes close to "unforeseen circumstances". It was a pretty extreme situation. If missing class and turning in assignments late to spend time with and care for my dying parent is what keeps me out of graduate school then I'll have peace knowing that if I had to do it all over again I still would have chosen that time with them.

I think that failing to balance school with the extreme personal circumstances actually puts me in a better position to fully understand where so many of those who are overwhelmed by life are coming from when they seek or require the help of a social worker. I've been there. I know how hard it is and I know how hard it was to pull myself out of that. I should have sought therapy to help me better process what was going on and I didn't, so I can speak from experience about how leaning on others and seeking help has been an integral part of coming back from a really tough place. It has fostered in me a much greater appreciation for mental health services and organizations focused on caring for people in crisis. I remember feeling at the time that it was really too soon for me to be dealing with this in my life (losing parents to illness in my early 20s and being their sole caretakers). Most people don't deal with this until their 40s or 50s. But I know that so many of the people I want to work with are also people who have experienced abuse and grief and death prematurely. I've seen it through to the other side and I want the chance to see others through it too. Social work was a strong interest during undergrad (hence the minor in social and economic justice) but after everything I've been through I know now that it's the only thing I'm suppose to be doing with my life. 

In terms of a personal statement, I worry about how much detail is too much detail when it comes to this sort of thing. I worry that delving into mental health issues and the way that they impacted my life and the ways I overcame them might just end up scaring admissions folks! It has a lot to do with my passion for social work but I don't know how to address it without making people think I'm crazy. Any thoughts on this?

Most programs I've applied to require a minimum GPA during your last 60 hours, however, less competitive programs might be more willing to look at your individual circumstances, versus just numbers.  With that being said, if I were a reviewer (and I've prepared all of my statements based around what someone who knew nothing about my aside from my packet would think), I would be concerned that since you obviously dealt with some tough circumstances and you performed at an average level in undergraduate, your performance wouldn't be "up to par" in graduate school if unforeseen circumstances arose.  For instance, you're placed with an agency for your practicum hours and something happens in your personal life that is beyond your control that you need to deal with, how would you plan to balance your academics, practicum and personal life without letting your personal life interfere with the first two objectives?  (This is a rhetorical question that you would need to convince a reviewer of without them even asking you).  As far as public service goes, I think it would be beneficial to get back into the field you're interested in, but I don't think your recent public service experience will make or break your application, since you have been working while you've been out of school.

I would also caution you against making your circumstances seem like an "excuse" for your performance.  I would advise you to really formulate strong wording that explains your particular situation, but that allows you to take responsibility for your performance and actions.  Like I said, my biggest concern for you would be that you would be able to deal with your personal life and graduate school separately and successfully.  If you really believe in yourself and your ability, my thought would be that you could prepare a personal statement that was strong enough to convince others.  I would also encourage you to look at less competitive programs, because if your hope is to attend a top school, you are probably less likely to be accepted when there are other candidates with strong credentials.

I wish you the best of luck.  I know how hard it can be to juggle life and school and I commend your desire to go back after a hiatus.  I hope you don't take my comments too harshly, I just wanted to provide you with my two cents on your situation.

I don't think you will scare them away. What you just wrote looks good and I'm sure you typed that out pretty quickly. With some polishing I think that could be a great theme to your statement. Admissions teams want to know what has shaped you personally and professionally. They want to know how you think and process things. They are trying to get a sense of who you are, which can be hard to do on paper. The most important thing is to not dwell on the crisis. Identify it, resolve it, and then write about all of the other amazing things that are you. A few sentences should suffice, rather than paragraphs bogged down in details. What I kept hearing from admissions was that they know the coursework of an MSW can bring up a lot of emotional baggage, so they want students who can handle that healthily.

I wrote about my personal experiences and how it impacted me. It took forever to craft it and a few people helped with the editing, but I was really happy with the end result. Like you, I've been through a lot and at a young age. I didn't want people's pity, just empathy, and it was really important for me to convey that. My experiences have been a benefit to my work and I showed that by writing about what I've done and how I've done it. I didn't just write that I'm better now. Make sure you have someone read it and edit so that you message what you have intended. Also, explain why you are now interested in social work. Connect this entrepreneurial endeavor and your major with social work so it doesn't seem disjointed. I'm sure there are a lot of transferable skills that you could discuss. You started your own business in the midst of all that was going on. If you have some concrete examples of success to write about then that says more about your talent and drive than your grades.

You might want to read Graduate Admissions Essays by Donald Asher. He explains how to write about this and provides several real examples from other grad school applicants. 

If you were to take some courses now and ace them, that would be icing on the cake. You could mention that in your statement. Are you planning on applying to UNC? Inquire about whether you can take their social work classes. That would probably be better than the sociology courses because you can meet the professors who might be reviewing your application eventually.

Like you, I would be more worried about the lack of social services experience. Several of my friends have gpa's in your range and they are in great MSW programs, like BC, NYU, and Michigan. They crafted great statements and visited info sessions to make a great impression from the beginning by engaging with staff and faculty. I think what put my friends' applications at the top of the pile, despite their poor grades, was their extensive experience in social work/social services. I don't think a few months of volunteer work would indicate to me that you are serious about this work. I know some engineers that have more volunteer experience in social services that that. I would seriously consider putting off an application to a top program until you have the experience. Some organizations are looking for e-Mentors, which could be great if you are busy. You may want to chat with volunteer coordinators to figure out if there is a way to use your entrepreneurial skills to help their clients. Maybe you can design and teach skill-building workshops.

Good luck, it seems like you have something great in the making!

I come from a somewhat similar background so I think I can offer a little advice. I have my BA in Journalism (not a top program but a pretty well-respected one nationally) and even worked as a journalist for a while after graduating. I decided I didn't want to do journalism anymore and used my interviewing skills to get an entry-level research assistant job at a university interviewing research subjects. I fell in love with research and worked there for two years and during that time I saw that a lot of the research coordinators were MSWs or MPHs. So after a couple years I decided to apply for my MSW at Washington University in St. Louis (which happened to be the university I was working at and it is also one of the top MSW programs in the country). Also important to note, during the two years between my undergrad and applying for my MSW I did NO volunteering/civic engagement/etc. I worked strictly as a research assistant. 9-5. I was worried I wouldn't be accepted because 1) I wasn't a psychology, sociology, BSW and 2) I hadn't done any real "social work" or international stuff. But that's not my interest and I didn't try to hide that. I wanted to stay in research and WashU's MSW program had a "research concentration" that I knew would give me the skills I needed to advance in the research field. So when I applied I didn't try to play down my journalism background or try to hide the fact that I hadn't saved dying babies in Africa. I said that I got into journalism because I wanted to help people but that I realized I was only writing about the problems, not solving them. And when I found the field of public health/social work research, I felt like I was really making headway on the problems.

Well, not only did I get accepted but I really found that the skills I had learned as a reporter (specifically the writing and grammar and proofreading) along with the "real world" work experience I had served me FAR, FAR better in the MSW program than the people who were fresh out of a psychology undergrad and had spent a year in AmeriCorp. (Nothing against folks with these backgrounds, I'm just saying that the skill set I had going into the MSW program served me really well for what I wanted to do). I was even hired as a graduate research assistant in a research center at the university doing health communication research BECAUSE I was a journalism undergrad major. They needed someone to read news stories and code them and then write mock news stories. It was a perfect fit for me.

And I still find that my journalism experience helps me. I got a job immediately after graduating (in research) and was just accepted a few weeks ago to the PhD program in social work at WashU! And I'm not kidding, during the interview process for the PhD program, one of the top researchers in her/my field of interest told me that she thinks there is a need for people with journalism experience in the field and that it a sought-after quality. There were over 60 applicants to the program this year and they invited 20 in for interviews and I was the only one with a background in journalism. They accepted 10 and I was one of them, so I have to think that my journalism experience truly helped me and I have no doubt that it will continue to serve me well through the PhD program.

SOOOOO...the moral of the story is that your journalism experience and your real world work experience will absolutely set you apart and count for something. I felt exactly how you do when I was applying for my MSW. I worried that because I wasn't a psychology major with massive international volunteer work on my application that I wouldn't even be considered. But that wasn't the case and now I feel like I have such an edge over other students/applicants because I have such a unique background and such a strong working skill set. Apply, talk up your experience and background, and make sure you have a well written statement of purpose and you will do just fine! Good luck!