johns hopkins humanities center

I have a silly question, which I recognize and apologize for in advance, but vanity compels me to pose it: What is the perception of Johns Hopkins humanities center within the academic community? As far as interdisciplinary work in continental philosophy is concerned, is this a competitive/prestigious program? 

I get the impression that, while it might be something of a springboard to a really great PhD, it's really more along the lines of continuing education for the hell of it (or for a promotion, higher salary bracket, etc.), but with a Hopkins price-tag. Of course, that means it also comes with the Hopkins brand name, professors, and amazing resources, which would certainly be useful if you plan to continue. I'm sure the program would be really great to go through, but it's completely unfunded, right?

I was wondering this about Hopkins more generally when I looked at the new USNews rankings. They're extremely well ranked in English, too, but I don't think I've seen anyone on these boards apply there over a three year period which seems so weird. Are we self selecting to not be Hopkins types, or is there something else going on?

I know personally when I was applying I considered the humanities center but then decided that I had too many 'elite' programs on my list and so took them off. Looking back, I actually took the wrong programs off (Penn and Hopkins) and the left on the ones that I really had no chance at, because they're really not a good fit for my work (Harvard, Chicago). Stupid.

No. It's JHU's comparative lit department, basically, and as such it's very well respected. NRC has it ranked 5-17; Harvard's is 5-16. Not exactly trade school.

Ah, my bad. I thought you were talking about this program: http://advanced.jhu.edu/academic/mla/index.html

Whoops. No, yeah, disregard everything I said.

• 3 months later...