International Programs

Skoda

Does anyone here have any insight concering international MAs in theology?

I got into Duke MTS, which I'm really excited about, but I only get the standard 22% discount.  Whereas across the pond, I've been admitted to St. Andrews for an MLitt in Historical theology, and have a grant that will elminate tuition, insurance, plane ticket, visa, etc., though I'll still have to take out a loan for room and board and food.

Obviously in terms of finances St. Andrews makes more sense.  But I want to make sure going abroad is the right thing to do.  Does anyone know how MLitts are received in the US when I apply to PhD programs?  They are only one year degrees, and so obviously are not one to one with an MTS.  Will I be restricted to UK PhD programs afterwards?

I have no idea!

Any help is appreciated.

I think this really depends on who you're working with at St. Andrews and whether or not he/she has connections stateside. Generally speaking, you are right that UK degrees open UK doors and vice-versa. So, while you might be spending more on your MTS at Duke it might ultimately open up doors for you stateside that you wouldn't otherwise have. Of course, you might consider trying to defer your Duke offer for a year (if that's possible), go to St. Andrews for a year then reapply to other MTS programs. Then, you become a very attractive PhD candidate with two Master's, international relationships and a MTS from a top US school. Just a thought.