LBJ

Pros: full ride and stipend

Better fit as I can actually study environmental policy

Better regional fit as their Lat Am 

Cons: not as strong connections, location

GPPI

Pros: more "important" connections

better location

Cons: Very expensive, not many professors focused on LatAm or environmental policy

Hey MPPGal !

We both now we're pretty much in the same boat here. So I will be happy to hear from others as well, and I will share a few thoughts:

First, the "important" connections of GPPI : the connections that matter are the connections related to your field of study and field you want to work afterwards. General connections in DC won't help you as much as really relevant connections from the LatAm & Environmental departments in Austin. The question is more, do the actual expertise of Austin in those areas translate in some useful concrete connections. From the discussions I have with the faculty there, it appears they do.

Location : definitely DC is THE international affairs hub. That's one of my main concern with Austin. And while Princeton is also lost in the countryside, it has the name that draw world class praticioners & speakers anyway. But LBJ faculty seems really involved in many national & international research projects and there is a lot going on there. Plus, they look really dedicated to teaching. So I guess it could balance some star guest speakers !

I have a phone call with Kate Weaver tonight, so maybe I will be able to share more on the subject after.

I agree with FrenchO, especially about the connections. It's one thing if the GPPI professors are willing to sit after class and get to know you and eventually recommend you for a job (or whatever the fantasy scenario might be). But the fact is, a lot of the hotshots are teaching adjunct in addition to whatever demanding careers they have, so they may not have as much time or desire for meaningful interactions with students. And since adjunct professors by definition don't do research, there are fewer opportunities in that arena as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Argh freaking out here.  So I visited GPPI yesterday and loved it. Their open house was so personalized and intimate, and the lectures were great. Yet, I did hear from current students about the issues associated with internationals not finding jobs post-graduation and the fact that as an institute vs a school makes it have no money. The school in itself is beautiful and I liked the professors. The problem is Austin also increased their offer and offered a job on transnational (my country-US environmental issues) which seems a match made in heaven and will give an additional income, a GPPI student flatly said to just take Austin´s offer. What to do, GPPi seems so pretty, but rationally speaking Austin just makes sense!

From following yours posts throughout the application season, it seems like you want to go to LBJ. Plus if you have a job offer for while you're in school, then you have the added benefit of being employed when you are doing your job search for after the program. LBJ is so well-regarded, I'm sure they provide ways for students to connect with people and organizations, right? They have to. Do you know what sorts of opportunities they provide? Semester in DC? summer internships in DC? I really just think if they're offering you a dream job for while you're already in school, you'll be able to parlay that into post-grad school opportunities.

And +1 to this "First, the "important" connections of GPPI : the connections that matter are the connections related to your field of study and field you want to work afterwards. General connections in DC won't help you as much as really relevant connections from the LatAm & Environmental departments in Austin."