NSERC 2009-2010

space_invaders

I guess the people in Toronto should have received their mails by now. So, check your previous address or the permanent address your provided in your application (not your current address). Mine was sent to my permanent address instead of current address. You can also call them and check what address they have on their files.

Good Luck :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is confusion over this. From the start there has been conflicting information on the Vanier and NSERC websites, with the NSERC website claiming that all Vanier nominees would be getting CGS awards, while the Vanier site claimed only the top tier of nominees would get the regular CGS. Eventually, all of the information on the NSERC website was removed, with only a link to the Vanier site. However, I spoke with the Vanier program coordinator on the phone today, who verified to me that THIS YEAR ONLY all Vanier nominees will be getting a CGS. She also told me that letters will be mailed out (and perhaps even recieved) by the end of April.

Thanks for the clarification. Since they wouldn't allow Vanier nominees to apply to the regular CGS/PGS competition, this makes sense. Maybe it will change in future years. It would be really unfortunate for someone to be denied both Vanier and regular CGS, and not be eligible for even PGS consideration. I would think that would be a really rare situation.

Do you know whether Vanier can be initiated in May? My CGS M ends now, so was hoping to have funding over the summer.

It is correct that NSERC was only accepting ONE application (either Vanier or PGS/CGS) this year. My understanding originally was that if NSERC did not forward the Vanier application to the next round, they would then keep it for the regular competition. Despite this, having not heard anything, I was similarly concerned about my application (although is hard to imagine that NSERC would allow a subset of highly qualified applicants to completely fall through the cracks between Vanier and PGS/CGS). Hopefully they will be more clear about their procedures in the coming year--e.g. there is still no clear statement on the NSERC or Vanier website about whether Vanier nominees must submit applications to both competitions, and/or what will happen to Vanier applications submitted to NSERC but not forwarded to the next round.

Good luck to all those awaiting Vanier CGS letters!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anybody heard back from NSERC regarding their acceptance of a PGS/CGS award? Are we supposed to receive any other type of correspondence after we have submitted the acceptance form? Thanks!

No and no - I was offered and accepted a CGS-M and only know that my acceptance letter was received because I phoned to ask questions about something else (and they confirmed it). Otherwise, no worries - so long as you sent it and they received it, you won't here anything. Apparently they DO contact you if the deadline rolls around and they haven't received your acceptance yet.

- Susan