How important is the individual program name?

I had an interesting question regarding the importance of getting a degree from a "name" program in a university compared to a similar degree from a less heralded program. For example, the reputations of SIPA (Columbia), SFS (Georgetown), SAIS (Hopkins), SIS (American), Elliot (GWU), etc. are well-documented and are obviously the cream of the crop.

However, there seems to be a trend of having similar programs with slightly different curriculums within the same university with different names. For example, if International Relations is the marquee degree program from the "name-brand" school, that same school may offer MAs in similar subjects in different departments such as International Studies, Political Science, Public Administration, etc. with a concentration in International Affairs or something similar.

So let's say you get a degree in Political Science (with International Relations concentration) from Columbia's Graduate School of Arts and Science (rather than a IR degree from SIPA) or a degree in Global Affairs (with a IR concentration) from NYU SCPS rather than their primary IR department, or a degree in Political Science (IR concentration) from George Washington School of Arts and Science (rather than a IR/IS Degree from Elliot).... is it really that drastic of a difference even though the same University will be listed on your CV? I'm not referring as much to the connections/networking aspect or even the overall education level (which, presumably, will be better at a name brand department within a school), I'm referring more to the overall downgrade as far as prestige or independent job prospects. But any opinions on this matter will be appreciated.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

I would say there is a big difference:

Columbia university is an ivy which is VERY well known as a great school SIPA or no SIPA people know it and think it is great. This is probably true for all Ivys (perhaps not Brown, dartmouth or cornell but the rest for sure) Chicago, Stanford, then when you start going down the rankings things become messier, NYU and georgetown are well known internationally and thus it is probably true. Hopkins is not that well known other than SAIS and biomed (in fact an IR professor back home didn´t really know about SAIS because Hopkins is not as famous), GWU is even less known just like BU, American and Carnegie Mellon. Hope it helps. Then I would say State Universities, especially well known ones like ASU, UT Austin, Michigan and a few California ones are also well known even if not in the calibre of the Ivys.

Off the top of my head, I think you would find that a masters in Political Science with an IR concetration would be much more academic in nature than getting an MA in IR from somewhere like SAIS and SIPA.  SAIS, SIPA, and the like are professonial programs.  I would think that in terms of job prospects, getting an MA in Political Science with a concentration in IR would be ok for think-tank type jobs or if you are considering a PhD, but less practical for other positions.  What appeals to me about SAIS, SIPA, etc. is that their programs are designed for professionals rather than academics.  

I agree with flyingjellyfish. From the research I've done, an MA in PS w/ IR concentration would be like doing an undergrad in IR, courses based on reading, regurgitating information in essays, only preparing for the academics of a PhD. It would just be like taking grad courses in IR only (I took a couple during undergrad and they weren't professionally based).

Programs like SIPA and SAIS can prepare you for public sector project work, development consulting, microfinancing careers, etc. much more as they are more focused on what you need in that field versus the theories of IR.