Johns Hopkins (IPS/MPP)

While I share in the collective anxiety of many -- especially those playing the waiting game with U.Chicago -- I am curious to see if anyone knows anything about the MPP program at Johns Hopkins. I applied to the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) at JHU and, more or less, saw it as a wild card. Admittedly, I do more snooping on this board than posting (I just can't speak to the strengths and weaknesses of various programs like many of you can), but I'd be delighted to hear anything from anyone regarding their knowledge (first or secondhand) of the Hopkins MPP program. I did make a visit to Hopkins during the early part of application season and was greatly impressed by the students and faculty. Outside of the "personal feel" of JHU, I know nothing. Any takers? Thank you!! :D

While I share in the collective anxiety of many -- especially those playing the waiting game with U.Chicago -- I am curious to see if anyone knows anything about the MPP program at Johns Hopkins. I applied to the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) at JHU and, more or less, saw it as a wild card. Admittedly, I do more snooping on this board than posting (I just can't speak to the strengths and weaknesses of various programs like many of you can), but I'd be delighted to hear anything from anyone regarding their knowledge (first or secondhand) of the Hopkins MPP program. I did make a visit to Hopkins during the early part of application season and was greatly impressed by the students and faculty. Outside of the "personal feel" of JHU, I know nothing. Any takers? Thank you!! :D

I personally am a fan of this program. It has a small family feel compared to SAIS, and the quality of the student body and curriculum is just as good. The program does a good job at giving students tools to analyze policy, and there are plenty of opportunities to apply it at the many non profits in the city. I have had and overseen JHU interns at my organization and they have produced phenomenal work.

Thank you FSIA! This is really good news. I just received an acceptance offer with a merit scholarship (unknown amount as of right now) and I'm trying to decide between JHU, Cornell and Penn. I'm leaning in favor of Hopkins (I think). To me it's a little strange that there's very little -- if any -- mention of JHU on this board. I suppose/hope this is because the bigger programs/names like GPPI, JFK, and NYU are where the majority applied.

Anyone else? Any help's appreciated! :D

i had noticed not much love for JHU on these boards too, east of eden. i applied as well, because they have such a strong health policy program and proximity to dc. however, i haven't heard a peep from them since i submitted my app wayyyyyy back in november. no "your file is complete," nothing. honestly, i've been joking with my family that i expect they completely forgot about me.

imagine my surprise just now when i got an email from a current student congratulating me - AGAIN-- on my admission and merit scholarship and offering to answer any questions i may have. HUH? nothing online, no official email.... :lol:

i had noticed not much love for JHU on these boards too, east of eden. i applied as well, because they have such a strong health policy program and proximity to dc. however, i haven't heard a peep from them since i submitted my app wayyyyyy back in november. no "your file is complete," nothing. honestly, i've been joking with my family that i expect they completely forgot about me.

imagine my surprise just now when i got an email from a current student congratulating me - AGAIN-- on my admission and merit scholarship and offering to answer any questions i may have. HUH? nothing online, no official email.... :lol:

I applied to JHU as well - but I still have not heard anything.

Traveler06, I think Hopkins has the admissions decisions ready; you ought to contact them and ask. Sisepuede, the part about "again" is funny. From your admits, it looks as though you have done INCREDIBLY well this application season! Good for you and congrats! I would seriously love to be in your shoes with the acceptance to Woody Woo. While I'm happy with my acceptances and funding offers, I could KICK myself for not having applied to WWS...not that I expect I would have gotten in...it would be nice to have given it a shot :D

If anyone else knows anything about the MPP at Hopkins, I'd love to hear it :)

Just got accepted! If anyone has any info on how they are with regards to education policy, I'd greatly appreciate some insight. Admittedly it's not very high on my list of acceptances, but they said I had a "very strong application" - hoping for a big scholarship (and that may change my mind)!

Traveler06, I think Hopkins has the admissions decisions ready; you ought to contact them and ask. Sisepuede, the part about "again" is funny. From your admits, it looks as though you have done INCREDIBLY well this application season! Good for you and congrats! I would seriously love to be in your shoes with the acceptance to Woody Woo. While I'm happy with my acceptances and funding offers, I could KICK myself for not having applied to WWS...not that I expect I would have gotten in...it would be nice to have given it a shot :D

thanks. my insecurities prompted me to cast a very wide net last fall. sometimes this whole thing feels like the world's most prestigious crapshoot, you know?... :lol:

Hey skz,

Congrats on being admitted! If I choose to go there (isn't that great that we can say "choose" now :D ) I'll be concentrating on either Ed. or social policy. They seem to have some great Ed. classes there, but I'm worried b/c they don't have too many graduate schools/programs with which to cross-enroll. It'd be cool to take an elective or two at SAIS, but the Homewood campus is not exactly a hop, skip and a jump to SAIS :D I guess we'll have to wait and see what a "merit scholarship" is worth. If we're talking free tuition, I'll tell them they had me at "hello." :D

Sisepuede, you're very humble! If insecurity got you to apply -- and then get admitted -- to WWS, send some of them insecurities my way :lol:

Hello everyone! I'm an international applicant from Italy, and have interned in DC for 3 months last year, which I found an awesome experience.

I've been notified my admission into JHU MPP yesterday by email. They mention I got "one of the highest merit scholarship" on which I will find out more in the official letter of admission. I've been trying to get some details on the grants available but their website has been down for a couple of hours now.

I am in the process of making a choice between JHU, GW and likely American- still waiting on Georgetown and KSG, not too positive though.

I've also got into LSE MPA Public and Economic Policy, which is by and large a comparable program. But I'm already alumnus there and would rather try a US program.

I would also appreciate any insights about life at the JHU and the MPP program. Honestly, it is by no means on top of my choices, not least because of its out-of-DC location; I would rather opt for any school in DC instead. And am not too excited about Baltimore either.. perhaps someone could tell me more about this all? Thanks

Lol you were right. I got an email today. They tried to call me yesterday but couldn't get through - my phone never rang. I was admitted and am getting a scholarship... details in the letter. This decision keeps getting tougher. Last night I had decided I was going to London because it is a hard opportunity to pass up. Now, I'm backing off the decision a bit haha. At least I still have time to decide.

Nope, still waiting for it to come in the mail. I can't imagine it'll take long for me...they're in Baltimore and I'm just a drive down the I-95 in College Park.

Then again, I said it can't take Georgetown long to send me my admissions package from DC, but it's been more than two weeks and I haven't seen a thing...

Hey guys. Anyone heard anything on the actual dollar amount of his/her merit scholarship? I'm still waiting.

I haven't heard either but I don't think it will be long. When I talked with them on Thursday, they said that they were in the process of assembling the packages. So if they went out Thursday or Friday, it should be soon.

Hey guys, just trying to keep this thread from being relegated to second page status. I'm getting antsy waiting for the funding info. to come. Has anyone received his/her aid package yet??? If so, how much have they offered? ...if you don't mind sharing, of course...

I just got mine today in the mail. I'm being given $24,960 for the first year, which they say is one of their "highest tuition scholarships." They also said that assistantships are available to work on research projects. Those typically pay about $15 per hour, and will be about 10-20 hours a week.

z, congratulations! What an odd dollar amount though; you'd think they'd have made it an even 25k.(?) But that's a boatload of money, nonetheless! I hope mine comes tomorrow. Show me the money! East_of_Eden

Decaf

---------they often do it by percentage of total tuition

I wasn't able to go to the open house. However, I did just receive my admissions package. I got $22,880/year. Now I have a tough decision to make: Cornell (CIPA) vs. Hopkins. Even though they may not be the most reputable programs to which I gained admittance, they essentially have what I'm looking for. ...And the funding is excellent.

Skz, what were your general impressions of the program? Were you impressed by the other incoming students, faculty members, current students? I hope you had a good time!

Congrats on your offer!

Warning! LONG post ahead! Warning! LONG post ahead! Warning! LONG post ahead! :P

Let's see...I did have a good time, that's for sure. Regarding your questions:

I can't give you a full answer about other incoming students because I did have to leave before the reception, but in the time I did manage to spend with some of them they certainly seem to be quite bright and genuinely interested in the field.

The faculty seems to be of quite a high caliber - the professor (Dr. Nightingale) who taught the sample class we sat in on clearly knew her material, and seemed like she was quite open to questions from students. The faculty seem very involved in research (one of them, Dr. Barnow, works on so many projects he had to make a list before he presented them to us!). Based on what current students told me, the faculty are very invested in the success of their students and are also very accessible. For example, a current student had some model or paper he was working on for middle schools, and when he went to talk to one of the professors about it even though she wasn't well versed in education policy, she read material about it on her own just so she could help him with the his work. Apparently you're also able to just walk in to professors' offices just to talk about things. I think this has to do with the class size - I think the number is something around 70 including both years, so it's something like 35 for each year. Ah, also, you can take classes at other departments at JHU, so you can take advantage of their excellent Economics and Public Health departments (just to name a couple).

Current students are extremely friendly. We broke off into groups to have lunch with them, and they were more than willing to answer questions and just talk with us about things. They seem very intelligent, and like the incoming group they seem genuinely interested in the field. There's a decent age range (early 20's to mid 30's) as well as experience range (some straight from undergrad, others having worked a while in different fields). They seem to be quite a close knit community of people, but that's also probably because of the small class size.

Other things I took away from my time there:

IPS seems to be affiliated with a lot of research centers. There's plenty of opportunities for a Research Assistantship ($15/hour, I think) - apparently you can just walk in to a faculty member's office and tell them you want to work on something, and they'll probably find you something. They're also quite nice about doing the actual work...if you can't show up to do work some week, they're apparently quite okay with it (though you'll have to make it up later).

As for the curriculum...it seems like they're focused not just on teaching you the tools of policy analysis, but they're also focused on getting you to use them (if you look at http://ips.jhu.edu/pub/Curriculum, I think the first semester class called "Policy Analysis for the Real World" has you do real work...I can't really remember exactly which one, tons of info in my head right now). They do quantitative stuff like statistics and econometrics, though I think some of those are in the form of electives aside from the core requirements. They also mentioned a class about writing: it was an eight-week course, and amazingly they had a student published every week in some form of mass media. One student's piece was blogged on by Anderson Cooper and made it to CNN! Anyway, I think one of the really good things about the program is that it's not only focused on the theory but they put you out there to do what you've learned. Big plus for me there.

I didn't get to see much of the campus (I left before the tour), but from what I saw it would be gorgeous on a sunny day (it was raining today, bah). Since there are probably concerns about crime in Baltimore, I'd have to say that the immediate surrounding area seems good. I'm not sure about what it's like as you go further away because I didn't have the chance to do so. Finding housing I think will require some legwork - because it's Baltimore, it's quite possible that if you find two places with the same rent, one could be amazing and the other could be terrible. They have a listing of realty online (https://housing6.res.jhu.edu/classifieds/Default.asp), but current students also mentioned looking on Craigslist as well as actually going there and calling numbers. If you live close to campus, I think you could get by without a car, but I don't know about that for sure (I don't know how far grocery stores are, for example). I don't know what the chances are of graduating second-year students passing on apartments to incoming first-year students, but one current student I talked to definitely mentioned that as a possibility.

One final thing...their job placement seems to be quite good - they've got people all around the country, though there are pockets in the DC area, down South and out West. Some in Europe and Africa, possibly Latin America (can't remember). I don't recall a mention of Asia though. I can't really remember much about this but I think my general impression is that they do just fine in this area. If I recall more later I'll post again, but you know, you're getting a degree from Johns Hopkins, so it's got name recognition at least.

Overall, I was really quite impressed. Like you, I wasn't really thinking about them because I don't think they're truly one of the most reputable programs (versus HKS, GPPI, etc.), but I'm very seriously considering JHU now.

Wow, that was like an essay. Sorry for the long post and lack of order from one point to the next!

Skz, THANK YOU! The information was great and I really like the stream-of-consciousness approach; it emanates sincerity! The campus is definitely a nice one -- well-kept, semi-colonial architecture, ample open space, very symmetrical, etc. I visited them during a trip I took back east a few months ago. Ironically, it was cloudy and raining when I saw the campus too. :lol:

It's reallllllly good to hear that you were impressed by the current students and core faculty. Also, while some people prefer larger cohorts, I actually wanted a smaller program in order to get more individualized attention. During my visit, I met briefly (and informally) with two students and they were each very kind and bright.

The whole idea of doing a research assistantship is highly appealing. In fact, if there are greater opportunities for me to do research at Hopkins as opposed to Cornell...well, I guess I'll be coming to Baltimore.

Skz, do you have an idea in terms of which school you're leaning in favor of? Also, I'd love to hear how/on what you're going to be making your decision. Now that I'm essentially ruling out (all b/c of minimal or zero funding) Penn, Chicago, SIPA, Tufts, Brown, HGSE, it's becoming sooooo tough to decide between Cornell (25k) and Hopkins (23k). It might come down to the proverbial coin toss b/c both programs, while not WWS, are quite strong and have almost everything I want.

Last thing, are you really that keen on GPPI? I know it's supposed to be strong and all, but I never applied there. After I visited them in late December, I no longer had a good impression...and I thought -- before the visit -- that they were going to be my #1 choice and that I was going to put "my all" into their application. Though, my impression may be skewed after all. It's easy to be let down when you have such high expectations...