Is prestige of a university important for a PhD?

iameddy

To be exact, I have been admitted to a science program at University of Virginia. Another program is better while the overall ranking of the school is out of 100. I am wondering how important the overall ranking is and does the brand of university of virginia big enough to make up for the lower program rank? Thanks for reply!

Edited by iameddy

It's the prestige of the department the matters most, not the overall prestige of the school. But this only really matters if you want to go into academia.

Edited by tarrman

It's the prestige of the department the matters most, not the overall prestige of the school. But this only really matters if you want to go into academia.

Thank you very much tarrman! If I do not go into academia(actually few graduates of either program go into academia after graduation), I should still choose the one with better department?

Edited by iameddy

You should choose the one that you think you will like the most. A Ph.D. is still a Ph.D., no matter where you get it from, so you may as well be happy at the place you get it! It might help asking some professors where their students end up after grad school. This information is usually available on their personal websites (if they have one).

You should choose the one that you think you will like the most. A Ph.D. is still a Ph.D., no matter where you get it from, so you may as well be happy at the place you get it! It might help asking some professors where their students end up after grad school. This information is usually available on their personal websites (if they have one).

Thanks tarrman, I would check the information and wish you all the best in your future study!