Still don't know

alui88

So as April 15th approaches, it looks less and less likely that institution 1 will have a decision by Monday.  However I have been accepted at institution 2.  Now my question is should I accept the offer of admission from institution 2 just in case even though there might be a possibility of me not attending?  I have no funding assigned to be as of yet.  Also I spoke with the department chair a few weeks back and he said they'll understand if circumstances change after the 15th and I end up not attending even though I accepted.  I understand that if I do this though, I am potentially taking another applicant's spot at institution 2.  

This is for an MS program that might or might not lead to a PhD program at the same institution.  The order in which each institute appears in my question is not significant, might be an unconscious thing though.  

Help please

Hmm... I'd take the professor's word at face value. It seems that This person would only say that if it were true. Schools generally (as far as I know) select prospective students within a range, especially for unfunded offers, so it's not as if your 'semi-acceptance' is necessarily going to screw someone else over... In all likelihood nothing will be affected by your decision

Schools plan for people not accepting, which is why they accept more students they can realistically accommodate. Students are accepted off the waitlist only if an unusually high number of students reject their offer or if a POI intervenes and wants to take the student. Don't worry about taking someone's place; it's unlikely that you are. And even if you are, that's life.

I'd say do what you need to do to ensure you'll have a place in grad school next year. If that means accepting the offer now, then do that. Since you don't have funding (yet) and given what the professor told you, I think it'd be ok if you later get a funded offer from another school and decline this current offer. You can't hold out any longer if you are to secure a position, so now is the time to think of yourself and not someone who is potentially wait-listed. Good luck!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use