Social Science in Germany

Spade

Does anyone know how social science PhD programs work in Germany? How long are the programs? What is the application process like? What are the requirements? How much German should I know (I know some)?  Where can I hope to be hired with a PhD from Germany? What does it cost?

Welcoming any comments!

Thanks! 

I know they're a little different. Indiana has an exchange program with the University of Mannheim, and I was able to meet some of the students during my visit there and they were talking about some of the differences. I don't remember exactly, but I think there were some differences in regards to how connected Master's and PhD tracks, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm sure there are some Indiana students that would know better, and if your interested in doing some work there but getting a PhD from an American university, Indiana would be a good place to go.

Guten Tag, Spade. Wie geht es ihnen?

The University of Minnesota and Yale, as well as other Universities in the US, participate in the German Exchange Program (DAAD). I'm hoping to a do a year at the University of Konstanz. Generally, with respect to fluency, an international program may expect you to take a language intensive course, a language proficiency exam or attend a summer field school prior to enrollment.

If what you are wanting to do is attend a German University by way of a US program, I would recommend identifying sociology programs in the US, at institutions that participate in DAAD, that fit your sociological interests first and then contact DAAD to make additional inquiries regarding language requirements. I found the following information on the FAQ page at http://www.daad.org helpful:

Must I speak fluent German to study in Germany?

Not necessarily. The International Degree Programs at German universities let you take German language courses parallel to the degree course itself, because these degree courses are partly or even completely instructed in English in the first academic year. For all other degree courses you will be required to take a German language proficiency test for admittance.

Students without strong German skills who are interested in short-term programs should look into German University Summer Courses, some of which are in English and almost always have a language-learning component. But regardless of program requirements, any experience in Germany is bound to be more fulfilling if the student has – or is willing to acquire – at least a basic level of German ability.

If you follow the DAAD route, your choice of program will be limited to participating institutions, stateside and in Germany. Of course, the Fulbright Program is another option. If your goal is to obtain your graduate degree from a German University itself, then you will need to do your research and contact each institution directly, or at least visit their websites, to determine admission requirements. For sociology, I would check out the University of Freiburg and the University of Konstanz. Both are interdisciplinary, and I believe you can do a terminal MA at either institution. I'd also recommend reviewing the scholarship of German sociologists whose work appeals to your interests. Identify scholars you would like to work with, see if their institution participates in DAAD and take it from there.

Hope this helps! Viel Glück!

Ich bin gut, danke. Wie gehts?  Ich sollte spezifischer haben. 

I'm currently completing a M.A. at a Canadian university and would like to go to Germany to study - and learn German, so I can read primary work in my field instead of translated versions.  I'm not really looking at going to American universities that offer exchange.  I've done a bit of research on profs and Johann Wolfgang Goethe University of Frankfurt am Main (not affiliated with DAAD) looks to be my top choice, but I remember how these decisions change every few weeks from when I was doing M.A. apps. 

...checking out Freiburg and Konstanz.... danke sehr!

Tschüss erstmal.

Ich bin gut, danke. Wie gehts?  Ich sollte spezifischer haben. 

I'm currently completing a M.A. at a Canadian university and would like to go to Germany to study - and learn German, so I can read primary work in my field instead of translated versions.  I'm not really looking at going to American universities that offer exchange.  I've done a bit of research on profs and Johann Wolfgang Goethe University of Frankfurt am Main (not affiliated with DAAD) looks to be my top choice, but I remember how these decisions change every few weeks from when I was doing M.A. apps. 

...checking out Freiburg and Konstanz.... danke sehr!

Tschüss erstmal.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.  Seems that you have a good handle, then, on what you're wanting to do. Financing may be the only major hurdle. Will depend on the university. I have a friend who attended the University of Berlin as a philosophy doctoral student. He lived there for 10 years. If you want to ask him some of these questions, PM me your email address and I'll forward it to him. He lives in Seattle now.