Penn State

Caracalla

Does anyone here tend to know how Penn State's history PhD program ranks? I went to phds.org and put in my own values to be judged and it came up to 134th. This seems far too low, but maybe they are quite poor in regards to their doctoral history program.

I am going for ancient history, so the program lies in their CAMS segment, but that program does not even appear on any rankings for classics programs either...

I'm just concerned that they are a bottom-level school for history PhD's (although, like I said, I don't think so) and am hoping that someone here can help me to better understand Penn State... If anyone here as any information about them, please let me know... Thank you.

Take this for what it's worth, but according to the US News Rankings, Penn State is tied at #51 with about seven or eight other programs. What do you want to study, and with whom do you want to study are probably more important questions to ask regarding Penn State (and any other program). Penn State has tons of faculty for 19th Century US/Civil War era. If thats what you want to study, then its probably a good place to apply. For ancient history, however, I really haven't the slightest idea as to their reputation. Even though they rejected me, I think it seems like a pretty strong program, certainly not worthy of the sub 100 ranking you referred to.

I posted it on the results page yesterday, it should be there. I have an offer from another program that I really like, so I emailed the DGS to ask if they had made any decisions. She said they had completed the evaluation process and that I had been rejected.