My chance for PhD in Political Science

mseph

Hi, I've been reading several posts here and these are giving me helpful tips. But I thought maybe posting with my stats would be even better.

So, I am currently a political science Master's student, and it's my second semester. My last semester's GPA was around 3.54, and I don't think I will do better this semester. I've tried, going to office hours and emailing professors with questions, but I guess GPA with 3.5 is the best I can do. I have one more year left (13-14): one more semester of classes and another for writing MA thesis. 

I am aware that MA GPA 3.5 is mediocre and not a good sign for PhD, but is there any chance of getting accepted to schools around 50-70 ranked? I am currently planning to study for GRE this summer again and retake it, hoping that it would improve and increase a chance little bit. Also, I will start reading and writing drafts for lit review and proposals for the thesis over the summer.

Any advice for the summer or brutally honest comments would be appreciated. 

Greetings visgiven. I understand you're trying to get a better sense of your chances, but posting one or two pieces of information doesn't really help much in predicting your chances. Your GPA is only one component of the application process. There are people admitted to top 20 departments with 3.5 GPAs and there are people who get rejected from departments ranked 50-70 with the same GPA. Your letters of recommendation, SOP, GRE scores, and writing sample will be very important. If the other components of your application are very strong, you could get in anywhere. If other components of your application are good, but not great, or just mediocre, then you'll have a hard time getting in to top programs and probably some that are lower ranked as well. I'm sorry to say that given what info you've provided, there is just too little information to help predict your chances. Best of luck.

Edited by adaptations

Also, remember that grades are very different at different schools. What will count more, ultimately, then the pure GPA numbers, I think, is how you compare to your class.